Thinking of buying a 2003 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Hybrid Newbie Kickin Azz
Default Thinking of buying a 2003 HCH

hi guys,

First post. looking into buying an '03 HCH. what kind of real mpg do you get out of this model? Everybody says something different.

The car is in great shape and looks brand new, it has 70k miles on it, all commute highway miles, and I talked the guy down to $10,500 USD.

Please tell me more if you own this year model - how do you like it?

Could a person carry a canoe/kayak on top with a rack (80lbs)?

HTB

Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking of buying a 2003 HCH

I own a 2006 and really like the car. What trasmission is in the car? CVT or Std. Any accidents? Milage is not to bad. Sounds like a far deal. Maybe some of the hch owners will get to you about the car. Have Honda check it out and go from there. H

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Energy Independence

MPG will vary. Anywhere from under 40 to over 60. Most people seem to get in the mid 40s. It mostly depends on how you drive it, the length of your commute, the temperatures outside, the terrain... and other things.

2003 HCH. Be sure to find out about the CVT tranny fluid changes (if this is a CVT). It is well-known to be quite fussy about proper maintenance. There are plenty of posts on this site about people's stories.

Welcome to GH. Read up, there's tons to learn! Also, the more you read, the better feel you'll have for what to expect in a hybrid. I read nearly everything in this site before deciding to buy a new one myself. I love my 2006 HCH-2.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Vegetarian

I love my '05 HCH, it's the same generation as the '03. I would highly recommend one to anyone one.

I agree with gumby, it's hard to say what kind of MPGs you'll get with out knowing what kind of driving you'll be doing.

I haven't carried a canoe on top of my car, but I'm sure it's possible. Try doing a search of the forums.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Hybrid Newbie Kickin Azz

What is a CVT transmission versus a standard? which is better?

hammer

Old 06-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Energy Independence

CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission. Automatic-like in nature (no clutch). Similar to Toyota Prius, or Nissan Murano.

For which is better, i don't know. Ultimate MPG is usually achieved in a manual, and some hypermiling techniques are much easier to do in a manual. Drivers can abuse the IMA battery much easier in a manual, also. The CVT appears to be quite demanding of its regular 25-30K or so fluid changes. Otherwise, transmission issues ensue.

On the 2006-up HCH2, you have no choice, CVT only.
I think Honda decided it's easier (and maybe better) for them to manage the IMA battery and its state of charge using the CVT, rather than the 5-speed.

I'm very happy with my CVT, and plan on being diligent about the fluid changes.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission. Automatic-like in nature (no clutch). Similar to Toyota Prius, or Nissan Murano.

For which is better, i don't know. Ultimate MPG is usually achieved in a manual, and some hypermiling techniques are much easier to do in a manual. Drivers can abuse the IMA battery much easier in a manual, also. The CVT appears to be quite demanding of its regular 25-30K or so fluid changes. Otherwise, transmission issues ensue.

On the 2006-up HCH2, you have no choice, CVT only.
I think Honda decided it's easier (and maybe better) for them to manage the IMA battery and its state of charge using the CVT, rather than the 5-speed.

I'm very happy with my CVT, and plan on being diligent about the fluid changes.
I've heard that the manual insight had problems with early death of the battery cause of the difficulty in managing the battery in a manual

Old 06-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

As a manual tranny o4 hybrid owner, at 64k i have had no battery problems, but I make sure I try to follow the green shift lights and predict when they occure to be sure I drive like a computer drives. Some comments i have read here about manual tranny failures the owners drove it like a sports car not a fuel sipper. i dont know the real answer to manual battery longevity though

Old 06-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Hybrid Newbie Kickin Azz

I went ahead and bought the HCH 1 yesterday!

I got just over 50 mpg driving it home from the guy's lot!! Wow.

I am going to take it to get serviced within the week and I'll get them to check the transmission type and perform any necessary services.

I hope to get as many miles out of this car as I can, so will definitely be taking very good care of it.

HAMMER

Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Energy Independence

Congrats. Keep us posted of your adventures.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2003 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands