Tire Pressure Kablooey!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire Pressure Kablooey!

Well, so much for keeping "higher" pressure in my Dunlops! This blow out happened a couple of weeks ago while we were on the KS Turnpike, running between 65 - 70 mph. Up until this, I've kept our tire pressure at around 48 psi. I figured with a limit of 51 on the sidewall, this should be ok.

It turns out this tire had some "road damage", ie a puncture, and that caused the blowout. With that, the tire isn't covered by the dealer, or tire manufacturer, even with only 12,000 miles on it.

For those interested, this was the right front passenger tire. At this speed, the car handled extremely well - no side to side, no severe loss of control. It looks terrible because the rim ate the heck out of it before I could slow down and pull off the highway. If this happened in town at a slower speed, it wouldn't have looked so bad.

I had fun taking this into the dealer and telling them I had a small problem with my tire and wondered if it could be repaired. They busted a gut when I opened the trunk and showed them this.

Oh well, lesson is, do what you think is best, and be prepared!

Mike

Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Vegetarian
Default Re: Tire Pressure Kablooey!

Wow, dramatic photo!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:34 PM

What does this have to do with tire pressure? How did it get punctured?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree... tire pressure alone wont cause that. Do you know what puntured your tire? You could have had a blow out had the tire been at a lower psi if what you ran over ripped the tire instead of a simple puncture.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 AM

Opinion echoed - high pressure had nothing to do with it.

That "whatever" you hit would have blown the tire regardless of pressure.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, well fellas, think whatever you like. Whatever let's you sleep at night.

What caused this? Not sure as a hole was evident on the inside of the tire. Perhaps a nail or some other object.

For my peace of mind, I'll probably run the tires a little lower than 48 psi.
This car periodically has to negotiate some gravel roads in addition to freeways and city roads. Since this is my wife's primary vehicle, I feel that running at a slightly lower pressure will give the tire some "cushion" to absorb hits from gravel, etc.

If I ran our HCH on nothing but highway, I'd get the pressure up as high as possible.

Mike

Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Mike, at least the rim looks OK. H

Old 05-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah Harold rim is ok. I had the tire guys eyeball it, and it wasn't damaged. It tracks straight as an arrow, and that's one concern I had.

The rim definitely "chewed" up the tire after the blowout.

The cool thing was, before I could get the donut spare out of the trunk, a Kansas State Trooper pulled up behind me. I figured he'd put on his flashing lights for me while I changed the tire. Nope, he pulls out a Craftsman hydraulic jack, and before I could get the spare out, he has the tire off the car. "We" (or should I say he) had the tire changed in under 5 minutes. We were back on the road in no time. I have nothing but admiration for these men and women.

Mike

Old 05-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Energy Independence

I've heard of that happening before (the trooper help), too (but not always). Their goal is to get the hazard (your disabled car) back on the road ASAP, before someone hits it or you. A nice bonus is that some of these officers have changed enough tires to figure they can do it much quicker than the average "Joe" - so that's just what they do.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Yeah - hope the rim is fine - check for a slow leak.

My two CRX HFs came with Dunlop tires, but they handled much better in wet weather with Bridgestones. Honda apparntly realized the difference and put Bridgestone's on the Insights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Kablooey!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands