Tire Rotation/Balance

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Rotation/Balance

You guys have really given me a lot to think about. I think during the tire rotation Honda usually does a basic tire inspection anyway right? Tread depth, pressure, etc...

Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think so, but I suspect it's a lot more rushed than you would do yourself. Personally, any time I have a tire off I'll roll it carefully along, dislodging most everything I see stuck in the treads with a skinny screwdriver. Good way to find embedded metal, screws and such. Actually, we've been pretty lucky for a while, haven't had a flat in quite a few years.

Something not many people have but worth getting is a tread depth gauge. They're $3~5 bucks, and a good counterpart to pressure gauge. They can be hard to find, but there are a few models available.

Regarding pressure check, ask them to leave tire pressure as-is, if you're running higher than normal pressure. Our dealership can always be counted on to deflate our tires down to spec., if left to their own devices. ;(

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 09-25-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

Is there an advantage to running higher that normal pressure? I would think that would cause extra wear or increase a blow out chance when you hit a pot hole. Thanks for the tip on the tread guage, I'll look for one.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Higher pressures will give your tires a longer life and better FE. Tire run cooler with high pressure! Heat causes wear or indicates wear? I would not go over the max. cold temp stated on the side of the tire!Some do however with great results in FE. Hal

Old 09-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

i disagree to higher pressure "give tires longer life"
there's a few conditions that could changes the "optimal pressure"
recommended pressure at 220 kPa or 32 PSI as normally we could lose 2psi per month

the below few conditions change daily
weight, rolling resistance, road condition, temperature, etc .....

our max loading at 850lbs or 385kg (including your own weight)
weight changes freq so higher pressure could be not optimal if loading changes

my place don;t face freq temperature changes so i've no comments

i previously uses 240 kPa (mine weight heavier due to modification) for all four
tire but my side wall wear faster, especially the rear
so i've dropped my rear to 210 kPa and i've not seen any abnormal wear since
and i've revert back 220 kPa for front

easiest monitoring method for tire pressure, i uses tires pressure cap ( color changes mean pressure dropped)
as our local version don't come with OEM monitoring device

Old 09-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I do all my maint. every 10k miles on all of my cars. Oil/Filter change, Belt and general under hood inspection, tire rotation, Brake and suspension inspection. Every 30k miles, all the above plus air filter and cabin filter along with transmission fluid and filter change. Every 60k miles the timing belt gets changed on the Ranger. At 90k miles the valves get ran and accessory belts are changed if not needed to be done before the 90k mile mark.

All done at home. No need to let the idiots paw my cars.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 AM

At least you know it has been done correct! I worry a little about if something breaks like a crank or CVT if I'm going to be able to get it repaired under warranty? I do use all Honda fluids and parts and keep all my receipts. Hal