Which Tires to get?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast
Question Which Tires to get?

I'm soon taking off my snow tires and need to but new "all season" tires for my 08 Civic Hybrid.

I keep reading NOT good things about the Dunlop SP31's, esp when it comes to wet weather traction.

Does anyone have experience with both the Dunlop's and the Bridgestone Insignia's?

How do they compare?

Thanks......

Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Which Tires to get?

The OEM Bridgestones (which I replaced in January after 45k miles) did reasonably well in most Ohio rains, but suffered in the two monsoons. Snow was pretty crummy, but that's a non-issue for you since you've got dedicated winter tires. I'm running on Michelin Primacy MXV4's now, and while I've been very happy with the ride, control, and noise, I'm also struggling to get any higher than about 47mpg (though this is only 2k miles and not yet summer temps). Mendel I think switched to the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and had good things to say at the time, but I'm not sure if he's had them long enough to compare long-term mpg yet.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Pale Driver

Ijust replaced my snow tires with the Michelin Exaltos (@44psi)and am very pleased with the quiet ride and handling. It's too soon to compare the mileage with the OE Dunlops, but my mpg is on the way up, as the temps increase.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Our '06 stock tire was the Bridgestone Insignia SE200_02. We've put around 58,000km on them, and just this fall swapped for the first time to Nokian WRG2 on steel rims for winter conditions.

I'll be putting the Bridgestones back on in a week or two, with spring getting a foothold. They're down to around 5/32" remaining tread depth so when I swap them for the Nokian's next fall that will very likely be their last use. I'll maybe put them on the following spring just to drive down to some tire dealer to get them replaced.

Anyway, the Bridgestones were not a bad tire, apart from being hopeless in snow, in particular once their tread depth started to drop. I think TireRack ranks them ahead of the Dunlops a bit. They're both near the bottom of the chart regarding traction, but the Dunlops more so.

As to what I'm going to replace the Bridgestones with, I'm not sure. Maybe the same except without the "_02", the diminutive letters at the end of the OEM tire name. There is some difference, but I think they're close in characteristics.

For me mileage is important, and with the Nokian WRG2 for the winter months, I want something for the rest of the year that's decent LLR.

BTW Chris, you must have me mixed up with someone else: I've not switched my OEM all-seasons out yet.

Just like to add: even though the Nokian WRG2 are described as an All-Weather Four-Season tire, and have a fairly aggressive tread, they've been delivering decent mileage, comparable to what we were getting in past winters with the Bridgestones. This is the first year we've had a block heater though, and using it religously might be a factor.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-28-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added another paragraph, comment on the Nokian WRG2 rolling resistance
Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Arrow Re: Which Tires to get?

Two new LRR tires are the Bridgestone Ecopia and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, offering the latest-and-greatest technologies for fuel economy + performance. Please, someone try out these tires and report!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

Might I also add that I recently had 4x Yokohoma Avid H4S installed by HOnda a couple of weeks ago, and am very disappointed by the fuel economy returns. I'm also struggling to get 47mpg, whereas I should be getting 53-55 for this time of year. They feel super sticky. Affecting acceleration, in my opinion, as well as glide. Have around 1200mi so far, but I don't really expect them to get much better as they break in more. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic...

In other words, NOT RECOMMENDED. And I'm going to have a talk with the service manager.

Last edited by dogarm; 04-01-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast

I've purchased a set of Bridgestone Ecopia's -- and so far I am very pleased. I have them at 40psi -- and it is a rather quiet, smooth ride. Going to test them in the upcoming rain -- will report to you with my humble opinion.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Arrow Re: Which Tires to get?

Originally Posted by wjpm
I've purchased a set of Bridgestone Ecopia's -- and so far I am very pleased. I have them at 40psi -- and it is a rather quiet, smooth ride. Going to test them in the upcoming rain -- will report to you with my humble opinion.
All humble opinions welcome. Glad to hear about the new Ecopias... hurry and drive!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Costco in my area just started carrying the new Goodyear "Energy Saver" tire. Anybody have any experience with these yet?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wjpm
wjpm! How are those tires doing??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Tires to get?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands