Toll booth operator's expression..priceless!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Toll booth operator's expression..priceless!

The other day I arrived at a toll booth early in the morning. The bridge was completely deserted of cars and silent, the morning was cool, and thus I had the A/C off.

I arrived to the booth, payed the fee, and as I was getting back the change, the booth operator exclaimed:
"Your car has gone dead"
I replied:
"No, it is running"
And I took off....

In the rearview mirror I could see the booth operator clinging out from the window, trying to figure out my car, and with a puzzled look in his face.

Priceless!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: Toll booth operator's expression..priceless!

Haha. I'm sure it's not the first time. Welcome to the community!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Banned

When hybrids are the norm, bad boys are put in big stereos playing engine noise and flautant mufflers. Right now I laugh at these noisy machines going 30mph and I quietly go by them.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's a good one - your car has gone dead !! Nope, all that's "going dead" is the old Gas Guzzlers of YesterYear !!!

Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

That's a great story! I love messing with folks, especially through a drive-through.

You just reminded me of a funny sight I saw the other night. I have a Civic Hybrid, and my neighbor across the street has a Prius II. We have lots of kids that play in our street - most have the good sense to get out of the way when cars come but there are a few who do not. In this case, one of the children was driving one of those battery operated jeeps (for a 3-4 year old). He was driving down the middle of the road, away from our homes. My neighbor pulled out in his Prius, and got caught behind the boy. I watched for a good 60 seconds as the Prius, not 15' behind the boy, kept pace because the boy was never aware that a car was actually behind him - he never heard anything! The only noise, even from a 1/2 block away, was coming from the child's toy, not the Prius. The boy eventually pulled into his driveway, never once aware that a car had been following him down the street.

Of course, I honk at these kids. Maybe my neighbor was enjoying a stealth moment.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tim
Of course, I honk at these kids. Maybe my neighbor was enjoying a stealth moment.
He was just admiring the EV in front of him.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Banned

Cool stealth sound effect on a good car stereo:

IMAX theater sound clip of a Romulan Warbird decloaking.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by Tim
My neighbor pulled out in his Prius, and got caught behind the boy. I watched for a good 60 seconds as the Prius, not 15' behind the boy, kept pace because the boy was never aware that a car was actually behind him - he never heard anything!
You know something? This is the only aspect of the hybrids that scares me. They are so quiet, that children, pedestrians and bicycle riders do not have the acoustic feedback warning them that a vehicle is approaching!

I ride my bcycle a lot, and as arrive at intersections, it is actually my ears which tell me how should I approach it. There is another Civic Hybrid about 4 blocks from my home, but I've not yet faced him while riding my bike.

As other poster mentioned, we should get a CD with growling open-muffler V8 engine sounds, and play it at full volume.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 AM

"Yes, the EV mode silence will make force both pedestrians, cyclists, Segway riders, and HEVDRIVERS to be more vigilant. It is only a matter of time until someone is injured and OF COURSE the Media will blame the CAR !!!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Banned

Bad application: Hunters sneaking up on an elk on the road.

Good appication: Patrolman sneaking up on a street gang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toll booth operator's expression..priceless!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands