Toll booth operator's expression..priceless!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Toll booth operator's expression..priceless!

Although, if I understand the way the Prius works, the engine kicks on at a certain speed. So hopefully any mishap would be at a low speed.

It does create a very interesting situation - particularly in a neighborhood. Although I love my Civic, I kind of admire the Prius going up and down the street without a sound. Toyota should run a commercial where a mischievous Prius owner is "sneaking" up on people and scaring them. You can see the scene outside a Starbucks where someone enjoying a coffee has a Prius cruising up behind them - honks the horn and gives them a start. I think it would be a funny commerical....

Old 07-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tim
Although, if I understand the way the Prius works, the engine kicks on at a certain speed.
Past discussions on the Prius I asserted with a gentle acceleration, it could get up to 40mph before the gas engine engaged. Note this is a second-hand source.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:48 AM

As someone who used to ride a bicycle all over many busy roads, I can tell you the engine noise even of regular cars is completely drowned out by the sound of the wind. The air turbulence caused by fast-moving vehicles is very easy to detect, and it makes no difference how loud their engines are.

The only thing that matters is the speed of the car. A regular gasoline car at very low speed is very difficult to hear on a bike when you're moving due to the sound of your own wheels and air turbulence.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
....I can tell you the engine noise even of regular cars is completely drowned out by the sound of the wind. The air turbulence caused by fast-moving vehicles is very easy to detect, and it makes no difference how loud their engines are....
My Grandmom used to live out on a Farm-to-Market road. A quarter of a mile away, I could hear the air wake of a car or truck behind the hill, passing the country store and finally passing past her house. Fond memories....