Tranny Problem in the HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Tranny Problem in the HCH II

Well,

Its official. My tranny is screwed up. First it started with a bad kick coming out of coasting with the ICE cutoff activated, now it REFUSES to let me glide in EV mode. No matter how little I step on the pedal, it will kick the ICE back on. I can't do a Zero Fuel Consumption Glide....now I'm sad because I have to take it in....

Old 02-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Tranny Problem in the HCH II

This may be normal because of the cold temps.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:48 PM

Its not. It was about 60 last night, and I've done the EV glide in MUCH colder weather. I live in Southern California, and this is the WARMEST winter I can remember. Its 77 degress as I write this, and it got up to 90 out here yesterday. This morning it was slightly better, but its just not the same. The pedal doesn't respond the same. I took it in this morning. In Sport Mode, the car was just acting erratic, it didn't want to stay in gear. I'm sad, I don't have my car....

Old 02-10-2006, 02:55 PM
G.H. Contributor
Angry Re: Tranny Problem in the HCH II

Originally Posted by mexiken
Its not. It was about 60 last night, and I've done the EV glide in MUCH colder weather. I live in Southern California, and this is the WARMEST winter I can remember. Its 77 degress as I write this, and it got up to 90 out here yesterday. This morning it was slightly better, but its just not the same. The pedal doesn't respond the same. I took it in this morning. In Sport Mode, the car was just acting erratic, it didn't want to stay in gear. I'm sad, I don't have my car....
mexiken;

Sorry to here about the tranny:

Terry

Old 02-10-2006, 03:00 PM

Worse than that. They've been driving it around all day (since 11, its 3 here now), and they couldn't reproduce it. But then again, they don't know what to look for, what to feel for. They have NO IDEA what a Zero Fuel Consumption Glide is. They don't know that if you EASE back on the pedal you're supposed to run off electric only. So its hard to explain. Yes, the tranny is just not acting right. And I don't know what to do about it.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

When I was having a vibration in the Ody, I suspected that I had a bad active engine mount, but the Service guys were unsure since it is very rare. So, before I brought it in, I found where I could consistently reproduce the vibration on roads close to the dealership. Then, I rode with the technician and showed him exactly how to reproduce the vibration. Because of this, they were adequately able to reproduce the problem and work with Honda on possible problems. It ended up being the active engine mount.

So, I suggest that you do the same and MAKE them allow you to ride with them, or have them ride wtih you. Everytime it happens, point it out. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 AM

It happened again, tonight. The first time, it was at night too. And its around 60 degrees. The weird thing is, its more like the electric motor won't engage, like the pedal doesn't really sense that I'm trying to stay in EV mode. It just kicks me back into gas mode. What irritates me is that it works in MUCH colder weather, and much hotter weather, but not at around 60 degrees at night. How am I going to get them to reproduce it ????

Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mex-

I'm not sure if it is the tranny or not. My HCH-II is really itchy when it comes to EV Mode. If I'm trying to stay in EV mode, a mere millimeter movement of my foot will kick me out and kick on the ICE. Even if I don't move it, going at a steady 18 mph will result in me being kicked out after about 10 seconds. If in fact it is a tranny problem, I'm definitely curious. But despite Honda's claims, I think it's just a matter of the IMA system not truly being a mode of self-propulsion like the Prius.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

Jeff

Old 02-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Its a combination of it becoming WAY more sensitive to foot pressure and it just NOT acting right. It worked PERFECTLY on the way home today in 70-75 degree weather. I want to say its the IMA system and not the tranny, but I can't know for sure....

Old 02-15-2006, 10:29 AM

I figured out what it was !!!!

If the SoC is at 4 bars or less, which basically means the battery is halfway drained or more, it WON'T go into EV mode. Because the battery is low, it won't be agressive about going into EV mode. Since my battery is RARELY that low, I didn't encounter it very often. (my battery is usually at 6, 7 or 8 bars, 8 bars being the max).

I tested it out by letting it charge back up to 5, then getting into EV mode with NO problems. Then eventually, it fell to 4 again, and it kicked me out of EV mode. So now I know what it is. Phew, thats a relief. I thought I had a faulty something or other in the drivetrain somewhere. Anybody else care to verify this ????

Quick Reply: Tranny Problem in the HCH II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands