A very minor point

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Angry A very minor point

Is anyone else annoyed that the HCH automatically comes out of autostop when you shift to park? It just seems like such a waste of gas, battery, and wear and tear on the engine as it has to start again for no good reason. When you pull into a parking space on autostop, does anyone else shift into nuetral and turn the ignition switch off before shifting all the way into park to keep the engine from coming back on? Is there any harm in this? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I doubt you'll suddenly be getting 100 mpg tanks with this technique...but why waste any gas when you don't have to, right?

Rick
Who btw is cheering the cold front that's coming here to Austin, TX and the first shot he's had of running his HCH without a/c on since learning about hypermiling.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A very minor point

It's annoying, sure, but you can avoid the annoy by just turning the car off before you shift to park. No harm done, no gas wasted. As soon as the car is off, shift to park.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

I'm new here, could you expound or link me to info on hypermiling? Thanks

Old 10-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Crazy Hybrid Enthusiast

When I had my HCH I was always annoyed by the Auto Stop park thing. I used to always turn it off before shifting to Park... However, a few times I had to run after my car a little as I forgot to put it in Park and got out of my car...

Per Jason's defination - Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.

I am trying to get the star by my name... One of these days!

Old 10-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Vegetarian

i was wondering what those stars were for... coool!

Old 10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Method - I do this too, but with an added precaution for my cvt transmission.

With autostop engaged, this is my shutoff sequence:

1) Autostop engages, engine shuts off
2) Brake to complete stop, hold brake down.
3) Shift to Neutral
4) Turn the key back one click to ACC
5) Engage parking brake
6) Take foot off brake
7) Wait one second for the car to "settle" down
8) Shift to Park
9) Turn the key to off and remove
10) Exit car

That "settling" of the car is very minute and doesn't matter too much regarding the transmission, but I'm picky

Old 10-06-2005, 06:08 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by coz6

Per Jason's defination - Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default.
can you please explain the 55/45%? i don't understand what it's taking a percentage of.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I turn my HCH off before putting it back into 1st gear when I park. As has been noted, it's dumb for the motor to come back on in that situation.

Regarding the cold front.... YAYYYYYYYY!!!!! I'm actually wearing jeans and a jacket right now, and this breeze is telling me it's time to trim the trees away from the house again. We were standing around drinking outside at the Draught House pub earlier, and my friend had to leave because he got too cold

Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laurie
can you please explain the 55/45%? i don't understand what it's taking a percentage of.
The assumption is made that your vehicle is spending 55% of its mileage in city traffic driving and 45% on the highway, unless otherwise noted. I believe the cutoff separation point between the two is 48 MPH.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

...and while we're on the subject of saving gas. Is there any real noticable difference when one glides and turns off the ICE versus just shifting to neutral with the ICE on?

also another thing that I can't quite seem to figure out from all the past posts after searching... when one is gliding with the ICE off, how long does powersteering and powerbrakes work for? Do they have a time average before they quit and the car becomes a real hazard or do they just simply always stay on? has anyone tested this?

Quick Reply: A very minor point

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands