Virginia HOV Exemption Renewal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Virginia HOV Exemption Renewal

The Bill extending the HOV Exemptions for Hybrids in the HOV lanes is in the VA Senate Transportation Committee. Follow the link for more information.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...drivers-17099/

Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Virginia HOV Exemption Renewal

It has been approved until next summer (2009). But is only valid on Route 66 and Dulles Toll Roads. And only if you have the special license plates.

I wish Virginia was more supportive of hybrids overall.

Arlington County is rumored to have passed a bill that excempts hybrid owners from all property tax (for the first $20,000 assessed value). Fairfax County has not caught up yet.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VirginiaLady
It has been approved until next summer (2009). But is only valid on Route 66 and Dulles Toll Roads. And only if you have the special license plates.

I wish Virginia was more supportive of hybrids overall.

Arlington County is rumored to have passed a bill that excempts hybrid owners from all property tax (for the first $20,000 assessed value). Fairfax County has not caught up yet.
Why do you think it is for 66 and Dulles Toll Road only? I hope you're not saying this because "My sister's boyfriend's brother, knows someone who said...".

The actual text from the bill reads:

Any highway for which the local jurisdiction receives highway maintenance funds pursuant to § 33.1-41.1 shall be deemed to be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the local governing body for the purposes of this section. HOV lanes shall be reserved for high-occupancy vehicles of a specified number of occupants as determined by the Board or, for HOV lanes designated by a local governing body, by that local governing body. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, no designation of any lane or lanes of any highway as HOV lanes shall apply to the use of any such lanes by:
1. Emergency vehicles such as fire-fighting vehicles, ambulances, and rescue squad vehicles,
2. Law-enforcement vehicles,
3. Motorcycles,
4. a. Transit and commuter buses designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver,
b. Commuter buses and motor coaches operating under irregular route passenger certificates issued under § 46.2-2010 and any vehicle operating under a certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity or as a common carrier of passengers under § 46.2-2075 or 46.2-2080,
5. Vehicles of public utility companies operating in response to an emergency call,
6. Until July 1, 2008 2009, vehicles bearing clean special fuel vehicle license plates issued pursuant to § 46.2-749.3, or
7. Taxicabs having two or more occupants, including the driver.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

No, Neil -- I did not hear it from "My sister's boyfriend's brother, knows someone who said...". I got it from the VDOT website. Last time I checked, the VDOT was a legitimate source....

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/nort...for_hybrid.asp

Text:
HOV EXEMPTION FOR HYBRID VEHICLES EXTENDED TO JUNE 30, 2008

Hybrid vehicles with the required clean fuel license plates will continue to be able to use the Interstate 95/395, Interstate 66 and Dulles Toll Road HOV lanes until June 30, 2008, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.

Vehicles registered for clean fuel license plates on or after July 1, 2006, are not permitted to use the I-95/395 HOV lanes from 6 to 9 a.m. or from 3:30 to 6 p.m.

However, they are allowed to use all other HOV lanes in Virginia during HOV hours, including I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road in Northern Virginia.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

The restriction on Special Clean Fuel plates (registered since 2006) has been in affect on 395/95 for three years. That is not new. The VA General Assemby extended the 'status quo' for the HOV lanes - meaning that if you were able to drive on 395/95 HOV lanes last year, you will be able to drive in them this year. It was set to expire in July, 2008, and they extended it to July 2009.

Thats why I said it has been 'extended' - not changed.

Last edited by Neil; 05-08-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Right - gotcha. I think we're on the same line.

You must be one of those lucky folks who has a pre-1996 plate? I'm a new owner (2008) so I'm not grandfather-ed in.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Virginia HOV Exemption Renewal 2009 - 2010

Posted this on another thread, just wanting to get the word out

Governor Kaine signed HB2476 on 3/30/09 allowing hybrids to drive in the HOV lanes in Virginia until 7/1/10, when it will again go up for review. Here is a link to the VA legislature site...

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...091+sum+hb2476

Yay!