Water in battery vent

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Water in battery vent

Hello guys and gals. First post here. I'm hoping to use the vast wealth of knowledge you people have to make an informed decision. I live in St. Louis and we got hit with a crazy hail storm over the weekend. I had to stand there and watch my 2005 Civic Hybrid get pelted with baseball sized hail. Anyway, the back window was smashed out and I'm worried about water that potentially entered the vent between the back seats that dissipates heat from the battery system. I've been scared to start the car since I don't know what'll happen if there's water pooled in the cavity where the batteries sit. Have any of you had any experience with this issue?

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Water in battery vent

I would not start the car before inspecting IMA battery compartment by trained mechanic who knows hybrids.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, that was my inclination as well. I called up a couple of the local Honda dealers. The first was not helpful at all, but the second took some time to poll the mechanics and they suggested towing it in so they can have a look. I'm sure some amount of water got in the vent. Where it drained is guesswork on my part. I pulled off the cowl that couples to the vent today to have a look and there's no obvious water floating around, but for all I know the bottom of the battery compartment is swimming in it. Since there was so much damage in the area, the insurance adjuster won't be able to make it out until next week (when I'm conveniently out of town). What a pain! I'm guessing that my car may be deemed totaled just based on the lack of windshields and the body damage, so it may be all the same to the insurance company, but I'd like to be able to salvage this thing and drive it until it dies.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am not sure I would worry much about it.It will drain out the bottom. How well did the body fare. Any dents? H

Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Harold, do you know definitively that it will drain or is that an assumption? Oh, man... the body got rocked. Every panel save for the rear driver side door has extensive damage. It's crazy pock-marked. I can get over the cosmetics, but I'd love it if the thing would start back up OK. Upon investigating what it all looks like back there, I think I may be fine, but I can't see if there is any chance for water to pool in the bottom of the battery compartment. I had about two or three inches of standing water where my space tire goes. I'm not sure if that came through the vent and battery compartment, through my speakers, or some combination thereof.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM

I am sure you are good! Put a rear window in it and drive it away. Did you have insurance on your car? Maybe it is totaled! That way you will not have to worry about it! H

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast

I do have insurance. If they're going to foot the bill, I'll happily have it towed to the dealer to be checked out. If they do total it, I may just turn that key and see what happens. I'll find out (not so) soon.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM

Keep us Posted Brian. The water should run thru and out the vent near the rt. rear tire? Did the vents survive the stones? Talk to or e-mail someone like www.re-involt.com and get there impressions on if they believe you may have a issue. H

Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

Brian, I also live in St. Louis but was spared the hail as we live in St. Charles.

The water would follow a path from the vent directly through the battery pack into the case which holds all the electronics. By this point, everything should be evaporated but I wouldn't take the chance. Our batteries can deliver 100 amps at around 160 volts DC! Pulling the cover from the entire IMA area isn't terribly difficult. However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you feel comfortable with high voltage DC. Insurance should pay for an inspection of that area just to be sure. Hope everything works out for you.
Jeramie

Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Eli
Banned

Unless a gallon bucket full of water was dumped directly down the vent, it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if anything is wrong, it will just throw an IMA light and the HV contactor will not be allowed to engage. The self checks are thorough and nearly instant.