Well, here goes my gas calculations again

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Well, here goes my gas calculations again

Darnit, had to go out last night, topped off the wifes Land Yacht, and filled up my 4 5 gal+ jerry cans for Hurricane Rita. If I don't use these for the generator, they go back in the hch, but since they hold more than 5 gal, it screws up all my milage calcuations.

Oh well, I guess that is par for the course given that I live in the tropics.

Mike V.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Well, here goes my gas calculations again

Good luck if the storm hits. Hope you fare well.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Keepin it hyper yo

Originally Posted by mavidal
Darnit, had to go out last night, topped off the wifes Land Yacht, and filled up my 4 5 gal+ jerry cans for Hurricane Rita. If I don't use these for the generator, they go back in the hch, but since they hold more than 5 gal, it screws up all my milage calcuations.

Oh well, I guess that is par for the course given that I live in the tropics.

Mike V.
Why not just use the gas for your wife's vehicle, and fill the HCH up at the pump? Does her's require premium or something to that effect?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

Well, we lucked out as the eye moved south of my location by about 100 miles, so all we are getting is a lot of rain and some strong gust. I can live with that.

Mike V.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jahwerx
Why not just use the gas for your wife's vehicle, and fill the HCH up at the pump? Does her's require premium or something to that effect?
Well, I had to get gas for the lawn mower, so I topped off the HCH when I did that. All the cars in my house use regular, along with the generators. Since 20 gals of gas is a pretty penny, I will use that in the hch as I consume what is in the tank, but since I don't know the exact amount of fuel in the jerry cans, it screw up my milage calcualtions till I consume that gas.

Mike V.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I have a one-gallon gas can that I use to put gas into my cars. I can measure it fairly accurately and then just note it in my driving log. So when my wife arrives home and says, "the light went on on my way home." I put exactly one gallon in (or two as the case may be).

I always have at least one full five gallon can of gasoline on my property, as we are often subject to power outages and five gallons will run about 10 hours in my generator (plus whatever was in the generator).

Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zadscmc
I have a one-gallon gas can that I use to put gas into my cars. I can measure it fairly accurately and then just note it in my driving log. So when my wife arrives home and says, "the light went on on my way home." I put exactly one gallon in (or two as the case may be).

I always have at least one full five gallon can of gasoline on my property, as we are often subject to power outages and five gallons will run about 10 hours in my generator (plus whatever was in the generator).
Hi Charley:

My 1 gallon can contains oil/gas mix for the weedeater and blower so I can't use that. I use the 5 gal can and throw a gal into it for the lanwmower. When I do fill them up, I tend to overfill them (they can hold about 5.3 to 5.4 gal) so what does not fit in the generator, goes in one of the cars.

I pickle my generator since I only need to use it during hurricane season and only if I am going to have an extended power outrage. I also get 10 to 12 hours out of mine running the entire house (except AC). 20Gal will give me 2 days of power before I siphon out of the cars (that is part of the strategy) and I can establish fuel supplies.

I learned this after Andrew, as all the gas stations in my area were wiped out and I had to travel about 10 miles to find gas. My neighbor and I would trade gas runs when we needed to resupply the generators. This went on for about 30 days!

Mike V.