what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

i only have a few:

-with the upgraded alarm system, if you open the trunk without first unlocking the doors, it sets off the alarm

-there is no trunk release button outside of the vehicle, every time you wanna open the trunk you must either open the driver's side door and pull up on the lever or open it by using the key

-sometimes while auto-stopped, even without moving my foot at all while on the break, the engine sometimes will randomly start up again (even with a full IMA battery charge)

aside from these minor things, i'm pretty happy with the car , thoughts?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

My only complaint. if I can call it so, is that the air recirculation button appears to change from internal air to external air by itself....... I notice because in stop-and-go traffic, if one is behind an older vehicle one can smell the fumes.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
i only have a few:-with the upgraded alarm system, if you open the trunk without first unlocking the doors, it sets off the alarm
This one actually is not a complaint for me, because if the trunk is "messed with" when the alarm is on, that means the alarm is doing it's job protecting the car. I just give the fob a single "unlock" when I want to open the trunk before entering the car.
-there is no trunk release button outside of the vehicle, every time you wanna open the trunk you must either open the driver's side door and pull up on the lever or open it by using the key
This one I agree with...how hard is it to put a trunk pop button on a keyfob? Not very hard. That was a mistake.
-sometimes while auto-stopped, even without moving my foot at all while on the break, the engine sometimes will randomly start up again (even with a full IMA battery charge)
This happens to me too, RARELY. When it does, I just turn off the engine to "force" the AutoStop.

I would also like to see tougher paint on the door mouldings - I have several "black" spots where cars doors have smacked me. It woul be easy and cheap to make that paint a little tougher (thicker, more coats, etc) than the body paint.

Love the car about 99.9% of the time though !!!

Old 08-09-2005, 08:26 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

i only have a few:

aside from these minor things, i'm pretty happy with the car , thoughts?
That probably happened because there was some sort of change in vacuum.

EXAMPLE to try:
Try holding your foot down on the brake once in auto stop. Gradually press the brake pedal all the way several times. It should end autostop because you have changed vacuum pressure.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:33 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

I agree- I'd really like a trunk release button, but I'll survive.
I'd also like a split rear fold down seat like the regular civic, oh well. If I had one, I'd just be sticking stuff in the car, that should be in the truck, and messing up my new car!
what I'd REALLY like is an autostop/ICE off button on the wheel. I'd like to be able to control that more myself- like pulse and glide etc. I really don't like (and seldom do) 'forced autostop" while moving. (isn't that an oxymoron?- if you're 'forcing' it- it's not automatic). I don't like to force the ICE to stop and restart while moving- even in neutral & low speed (25-30mph) the car lurches, which can't be good. I know there are guys here getting GREAT mileage with it- but to me it's a little to far down the obsessed road.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the new 2006 gets. I love my HCH though- and wouldn't trade it for a new one! I'm one of those who'll be "driving it till the wheels fall off" (like my old explorer)- either that or give it to the kid to take to college in 5 years....

Old 08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fernando_g
My only complaint. if I can call it so, is that the air recirculation button appears to change from internal air to external air by itself....... I notice because in stop-and-go traffic, if one is behind an older vehicle one can smell the fumes.
does this only happen while auto-stopped or does it happen regardless of being auto-stopped or not?

Originally Posted by rigger
That probably happened because there was some sort of change in vacuum.

EXAMPLE to try:
Try holding your foot down on the brake once in auto stop. Gradually press the brake pedal all the way several times. It should end autostop because you have changed vacuum pressure.
heyyyyy, i have noticed that, sometimes i'll switch my braking foot to readjust myself in the car, and when doing so i press down harder on the brake to make sure i dont go anywhere and i've often noticed the auto-stop would go away. i just always figured that my foot let off a little during the switch but i guess there's my answer.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Originally Posted by fernando_g
I've noticed that as well. It switches the recirc off automatically, at any time. Not sure what the method behind the madness is on that. Temp maybe?

Old 08-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am going to use my new hybrid for work and i needed the back seat to fold down, thats why i went with the Prius instead of the honda. for most people this isnt an issue.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

No rear seat cup holders. Can't imagine why they would opt out of installing them.

cost cutting measure? adding unnecessary weight? out of spite?

J/K ... no idea why

I don't think the front hood makes a tight seal with the car. The motor get so incredibly dirty by spring.

I also hate the car mats. I find them cheap and flimsy.

Last edited by RIHCH; 08-12-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

1.Rattles. Many of them at times.
2.Fair to poor interior material quality.
3.Poor fitting exteror panels.
4.Only fair CD/Radio sound quality

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what are your complaints about the Honda Civic Hybrid...?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands