Where is the amp for the 06 HCH II stereo located?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Where is the amp for the 06 HCH II stereo located?

Does anyone know where the amp is for the 06 HCH II stereo with navigation system? Has anyone changed out there speakers the amp yet? I know fellow hch ii owners complain regarding the sound but has anyone done anything about it yet?

Old 02-16-2006, 04:32 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Where is the amp for the 06 HCH II stereo located?

Originally Posted by MagneticPearl06
Does anyone know where the amp is for the 06 HCH II stereo with navigation system? Has anyone changed out there speakers the amp yet? I know fellow hch ii owners complain regarding the sound but has anyone done anything about it yet?
Hi Jason;

I bet this is not what you are really asking? But here is what I did to improve the system from Honda.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/sto...4-sna-1003.jpg

Also I had the dealer install this:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/sto...an/xmradio.jpg

The Link to this Site is:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/civ...lectronics.htm

I'm sure you already know that these accessories can be purchaesd from your Honda dealer where you purchased your HCH II. Along with the Installation.

However, here is a place you can purchase the accessories for improved sound and it all works with your Honda Stereo.

Probably, not what you had in Mind, but this information is Free and just something else to consider.

Regards;

Terry

Old 02-16-2006, 04:39 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: Where is the amp for the 06 HCH II stereo located?

Jason,

I do not have the Navi, but I added the Bass Boost System. They put the amp under the trunk lid. They also take out the stock speakers and replace them with the same size, but larger magnets. I am pleased with the sound of the system , but also think the tuner or antenna is not pulling in stationa as well as other cars do.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Where is the amp for the 06 HCH II stereo located?

Thx Terry for that info. Unfortunately, I knew about the aftermarket bass system from honda but was looking for something alittle different. For instance, anyone try components in the front or back or replacing the spare tire with a sub in the trunk?

Old 02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Not to hijack the thread but... If anyone has any links for a nice professional way to install an iPod, that would be nice. I am impatiently waiting for my car to come in and have been thinking of things I'll want to do. I am tempted to buy the Honda Music Link just because it will be a hidden install and allow me to skip to the next song from the steering wheel. I know the reviews for this are poor but I am not looking for much more than having a hidden install.

On my test ride, I did not think the radio sounded too bad but I do fear that after driving it daily I will want to upgrade at least the speakers. I wish they had put the higher power stereo from the EX Coupe in the hybrid but what can you do.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Where is the amp for the 06 HCH II stereo located?

Originally Posted by MagneticPearl06
Thx Terry for that info. Unfortunately, I knew about the aftermarket bass system from honda but was looking for something alittle different. For instance, anyone try components in the front or back or replacing the spare tire with a sub in the trunk?
Okay Jason;

My last shot at this:

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/tdb30

You can pull his Pics up by (Link) or simply "Clicking" on {VIEW} Below:

tdb30's Garage

2003 Honda Civic
"Where I store my stuff"

Overall Rating:
Last Updated: May 23, 2005

{Click View Above:}

This is tbaleno from Chicago. he has done what you are speaking of but the car is a 2003 HCH I. Still it is the same principal just a different year.

If you Post here I'm sure he will answer you if you want to discuss his install Further.

Your Welcome:

Terry

BTW; The Man with the Answers, Usually

Old 02-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

KEttleone, Try this link...

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...sage_id=499393

Old 02-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Utah.

I frequent that site but missed that one.

Last edited by kettleone; 02-17-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Rarely post anything

To the OP's question - I don't know if there's an outboard amp, or if it's integrated into the head unit (hope not). In the Accord, there was an outboard amp, and IIRC, it's located in the passenger-side kick panel up front (the lower area just in front of the door).

I have the service manual for the '06 Civic Hybrid on order; once it comes in, I'll know for sure how the amplification is set up (that's how I knew about the Accord -from the service manual).

On speakers - I put a set of Boston Pro60's (6.5" components) in the front of the Accord, and it sounded like a different car In that car, I had them steathily mounted as coaxials - I'm seriously thinking of mounting the tweeter outboard, this time around - maybe in the top of the door panel (the A-pillar contains side curtain airbags, and I don't want to mess with those too much - not to mention potential safety issue if they (heaven forbid!) ever have to be deployed). Those were retreived from the Accord, and they'll soon be installed in the Civic.

I also had a set of Boston SL95's (6x9 triax) in the rear of the Accord, but can't use those in the Civic (looking to get rid of them now). You just need something for fill in the rear - so you don't need to spend a ton of $ on the rear - something that gives good mid-bass output. I've not heard the OEM 'bass system', but outside of a few very high-end manufactuer systems, I think you can generally do better, soundwise, in the aftermarket. For your fronts, get the best sounding speakers you can afford, IMO.

Amplification - In the Accord, I did nothing more than have the speakers wired up to the factory head unit. It was good - but if I'd kept the car, I would have proceeded with an outboard amp. I will definitely do this with the Civic - what I'm unsure on is if I want to do a 6-channel, and have it in 4.1 mode, or separate amps for full-range /sub, so that I can disconnect the sub if I need more room in the car to transport people / things, etc (haven't decided if I want an in-cabin sub, or a trunk-mount). For subs, I hear the Infinity BassLink is supposed to be pretty good (from an SQ perspective), but I'd need to hear one (and CircuitCity is not the environment for that
I'm looking for SQ, rather than SPL; your needs may be different

The other thing I'm looking at is a JL Audio CleanSweep, to take the pre-processed DSP signal coming out of the head unit / amp (the Accord has its DSP chip in the amp), and feed the outboard amp(s) a clean, unprocessed signal again (although, when you think of it, if you process a processed signal, that's not 'unprocessed' - that's 'further processing'). But I've heard nothing but shining reports of this device, and will likely try one out.

One other thing - the person who mentioned the 'higher-powered' system in the Civic Coupe (EX, Si) - that is the same amplification on the full-range - the extra power is a second 190w amp, dedicated to the sub mounted in the rear deck. I listened to one of these twice - once in an EX, the other in an Si - and I wasn't impressed, either time.

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 02-17-2006 at 09:20 AM.