Why does Engine Restart when put in Park?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Why does Engine Restart when put in Park?

When I pull into a parking space or drive into my garage to park, AS kicks in as I would expect. However, when I place the car in Park, the engine restarts. Now when I park, I turn off the ignition and then put the car in Park. 1) is that bad for the transmission? 2) my door locks have to be manually unlocked as a result. Thoughts? Advice?

I'm a 10-day newbie and have spent way too much time on this forum in the last two days!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why does Engine Restart when put in Park?

I was wondering why it does it as well.

I know the auto stop Auto. comes back on when you release the break, but I don't think it should if you shift the gears, and the book says it does.

Whay I have been doing when I park, is if it does go into auto stop, I turn off the car before I put it into park.

Now my question, is what I am doing bad or wrong?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I always turn the car off before putting it in park too.

Turning the engine on in park makes no sense to me at all. I can't imagine why Honda designed it that way.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would follow the Owner's Manual's instructions for parking. Even if we don't understand the reasons why the engine restarts, that doesn't meant that there are none. Although these cars are designed to be idiot-proof, that isn't a license to subvert its mechanisms. Would you and can you park this way with an ordinary car? Perhaps so, but try and explain that to law enforcement or in claiming a warranty if it is the cause for some misfortune.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is an extensive thread on this very subject.

Try the search feature.

Many folks here, including myslef, turn the car off when autostoped in D before putting the car in P.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Indeed:

here's one.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ng-park-12285/

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 AM

See this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...stopping-1941/
for other reactions to this question.

My personal response, and that of many posters here, is that the fact that the engine turns back on as you shift from drive to reverse can be easily and safely circumvented by keying off (just one 'click') while in Drive or Neutral before you shift to Reverse and then Park, and only removing the key after you are in Park. It takes an extra step when you're shutting down the car, but it only takes a second, and it can be done very automatically once you are used to doing it, little thought or effort required. The consensus seems to be that there is no reason to think this would harm the car in any way- the engine is off already, to be sure, and plenty of cars with MT are shut off that way regularly.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Been said, but in order to get to 'Park', you have to go through 'Reverse', and since that isn't 'Neutral' or 'Drive', the engine starts. My shutdown process, easy on the CVT:
- Pull into parking spot, shift to N (whether AS engages or not)
- Pull hand brake
- Turn off engine completely
- Shift to P
- Remove key, go about my life.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM

None of these threads address the reason WHY the system turns ON. All these threads just say it's ok to do this or that but I would like to know the reason the system goes back to the ON state. I believe it turns on the second it comes out of DRIVE... not when it goes into REVERSE or PARK. I'm sure the engineers have a reason for this or they just missed this scenario. That's the question... if by design, then why. If missed...then ok... we now know.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM

I think the reason why the ICE turns on is, the engine does not go into AS when in reverse. When you shift to reverse it starts ICE in preperation for you to reverse. It does not know what you are up to! It would be nice to have AS in reverse, then our problem would not occur. There is no reason why it has to restart in reverse untill you release the brake really, but it does. I can not for the life of me figure out why the ICE has to start in reverse. But there may be a reason. H

Quick Reply: Why does Engine Restart when put in Park?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands