Wind makes HUGE difference...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Wind makes HUGE difference...

Just completed Houston - San Antonio turn on I-10 this weekend. 212 miles each way, pretty flat, no traffic. Outbound, there was a significant headwind/crosswind. Cruising all highway at around 65 mph avg, I got a miserable 39 mpg. On way back, there was a mild tailwind. I got 53 mpg, cruise control at 70mph!! That's a 25% difference!

So far, I am loving this car!
2006 HCH with Nav, XM radio, and dealer installed leather.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wind makes HUGE difference...

Yes it makes most difference at high speeds where drag is the main force the engine must overcome.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:07 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Wind makes HUGE difference...

Originally Posted by prajlh
Just completed Houston - San Antonio turn on I-10 this weekend. 212 miles each way, pretty flat, no traffic. Outbound, there was a significant headwind/crosswind. Cruising all highway at around 65 mph avg, I got a miserable 39 mpg. On way back, there was a mild tailwind. I got 53 mpg, cruise control at 70mph!! That's a 25% difference!

So far, I am loving this car!
2006 HCH with Nav, XM radio, and dealer installed leather.
Hi prajlh;

Your right the Wind in the Face does effect the car. I think even more so the Hybrids because as a general rule they have smaller ICE (internal gas engine) so the harder they have to work the more fuel they are going to burn. Less FE (fuel economy).

I notice that this is your 2nd Thread here on GreenHybrid so just want to take another Minute and say Welcome.

Hope you will stick around and continue to be a part of this Forum.

Regards;

Terry

Old 02-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Energy Independence

Yes, Welcome!

And I, for one, would LOVE to see how the dealer-installed leather turned out. Could you post a picture or two?

What color is your HCH?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Actually I experienced that today too, I had about 90 miles on this tank with 43 mpg, then the 80 mile drive home with big headwind dropped my mpg 38. So I must have been doing about 34 today. Nasty.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

05 Civic kicks 06's butt, see below.....

I made the same trip and was disappointed with my #'s until I read yours.
My trip home from Houston (Sunday) was cold with 20+mph headwinds (w/gusts) driving at 78 I am pulled a whopping 41mpg, way different then my norm 52-55.
My brother followed on the same route and he went from 24 to 21mpg (truck).
Clif

Old 02-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Definitely...I was watching Nascar qualifying last Sunday and the wind was a major factor on the front stretch, the cars were losing 5-10 positions due to the wind.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

The car doesn't like hills, rain, or cold much either. I did the Houston-Austin trip over the weekend, leaving Friday during a rainstorm. My trip to Austin on US 290 got about 48mpg at 65mph. I took SH 71/I-10 back, hoping for better, but the hills on SH 71 made for similar mpgs through Columbus. It wasn't until I hit a flat I-10 till I started to get over 50mpg.

I need to drive to Florida on I-10 with a nice westerly wind with about 20 feet of elevation change during the whole trip. That might cure my deflated ego

Jeff

Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 AM

*NO* car like hills, rain or cold.

This car is just different in that it tells you the bad news, instead of keeping it secret.

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
The car doesn't like hills, rain, or cold much either. I did the Houston-Austin trip over the weekend, leaving Friday during a rainstorm. My trip to Austin on US 290 got about 48mpg at 65mph. I took SH 71/I-10 back, hoping for better, but the hills on SH 71 made for similar mpgs through Columbus. It wasn't until I hit a flat I-10 till I started to get over 50mpg.

I need to drive to Florida on I-10 with a nice westerly wind with about 20 feet of elevation change during the whole trip. That might cure my deflated ego

Jeff

Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
I took SH 71/I-10 back, hoping for better, but the hills on SH 71 made for similar mpgs through Columbus. It wasn't until I hit a flat I-10 till I started to get over 50mpg.
Jeff
What day did you return?
There was a killer tailwind if you were Houston bound on Sunday, I would think you could/should have pulled 60mpg.
Clif

Quick Reply: Wind makes HUGE difference...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands