Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   World's most expensive oil change (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/worlds-most-expensive-oil-change-775/)

kenny 08-07-2004 01:46 PM

Decided to do my own oil changes, mostly to save time and ensure it's done right.
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT.
Odometer is 4572 for first change.

Parts list:
Heavy duty truck ramps for extra safety, $29.97, WalMart
Craftsman 3/8-in Drive Microtork Torque Wrench, Model 944594, that can adjust to 29 lb-ft, $69.99, Orchard Hardware.
Mobile1 0-20W 4 x $4.81= $19.24, Walmart
Mobile1 oil filter model M1-110, $9.99, AutoZone
Funnel, shaped to hold today's 1 quart oil container, environmently friendly since it can get ALL the oil, $1.99, Orchard Hardware.
15-Quart oil drain pan with caps that seal and a nice pouring neck, $6.99, AutoZone
Very Superb Oil Filter Removal Wrench, like a big pliers with teeth that grab the filter, $8.99, AutoZone
Drain plug washer, $0.35, Honda Dealer
1 Gallon of Sparkletts water for my first disposal container, $1.70, Ralph's Foods.

Parts Total $149.23
8.25% Tax, $12.31
Total $161.54

Most of the money is for one-time purchases.
Now that I'm set up, it will take me just a few mintues to do it VERY right.

Labor:
5 hours to research, then call around, then drive around, and actually do it.
Yes, I'm gonna recycle the oil, calm down.

Am I crazy?
No.
It's called Hybrid Love!

Jason 08-07-2004 02:10 PM

lol there's a fine line between dedication and obsession. Don't cross that line! ;)

kenny 08-07-2004 02:18 PM

Too late; I crossed it years ago.

xcel 08-07-2004 11:38 PM

Hi Kenny:

___After 100’s of oil changes yet to be performed, these costs will disappear. That is if you are willing to drive 750,000 miles or so over the next few decades ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

kenny 08-08-2004 12:21 PM

If I was one of those "all that matters is money" kind of guys I would have never bought a hybrid.
We've all seen those numbers that show you have to use the car for a zillion years or gas has to go up to 100 bucks a gallon to get back those extra thousands of dollars that a hybrid costs.

The gentle way I drive this car may just last 750,000 miles.
Anyway the money buys me peace of mind.
I know it will be done right.

Funny, on the oil filter:
I bought a honda one at the dealer for 6.99 just for comparison purposes.
My owners manual says to install the oil filter according to the instructions that come with it.
But NO instructions come with the Mobile 1 filter.
Fortunately the Honda one has instructions that say to tighten 3/4 turn beyond first contact.
I needed the oil wrench to do that, maybe because my hands were slippery at that point with oil.
I would have never known about the 3/4 turn; I hope it is the same for the Mobile 1.
I did know tho smooth a little new oil over the rubber gaskget.

Oh, and I'll be using this equipment to change my partner's oil too, a 2002 Civic Ex.
His car calls out 5W-20, can I use 0-20 for better mileage? or should I stick to what the manual recommends.
The car is in Los Angeles and never is taken where it freezes, if that matters.

Stevo12886 08-08-2004 06:26 PM

Kenny,
I would stick to what the manual recommends, idk about VTEC, but VVT-i uses oil pressure for its timing, so changing oil viscosity changes the way it behaves, also, i dont know if the oil would stay in the engine....it simply could be too thin....not to mention the extra wear.
Cheers,
Steven

xcel 08-08-2004 07:07 PM

Hi Kenny:

___Doesn’t the HCH call for 0W-20? If so, Mobil1 synthetic is the best thing going for fuel economy.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

kenny 08-09-2004 04:51 AM

Wayne, I am using 0W-20 in my HCH.
My partner has an 02 Civic EX for which the manual calls out 5W-20.
I was wondering if 0W-20 would improve his mileage and be safe to use.

Maybe 0W-20 was just not available back then.

xcel 08-09-2004 03:48 PM

Hi Kenny:

___The only issue with Mobil1 0W-20 in the hotter Honda’s is with the V-TEC’s. If he is on the VTEC’s cam profiles at all, 5W-30 Mobil1 is the lowest viscosity he should purchase for higher fuel economy. It says the same right on the Mobil1 synthetic bottle. Then again, since it recommends 5W-20, is the 02 EX a VTEC ICE? I will look that up later …

___On another note, I sure would like to run a late model and well broken in Civic EX or the less powerful LX w/ Auto or Stick for a few days myself just to see what they are worth. I know what my Corolla LE w/ Auto is worth and its pretty fantastic but knowing Honda’s magical ICE’s, I bet the LX in particular is really worth 55 + w/ a stick out on the highway when pushing the fuel economy envelope.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Paul 09-23-2004 10:57 PM

I just bought in Hawaii a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT
Sept.12. 2004, Paid 21,186.
20,200 cost, 174 doc. fee, 682.14 state tax, 130 license,registration etc. fee
Thanks for the shopping list. I've been deciding if I should do it myself or not. Do you think you really need the torque wrench? Also what did your oil look like at the change? Did you decide on the severe maintenence schedule because thats the conditions you drive in or are you just used to changing every 3000 like me. I called Honda of America and they said to stick with the suggested service for the conditions listed. Our trips are over 5 miles and its not always 90 but its warm. I could follow the "normal" schedule I think.
Did you see the manual on changing the transmission fluid. For the 2005 it says to refill, run, and drain 3 times. I wonder if the dealers really do that? Is that something your planning on?
Sorry for all the questions but I've been thinking about this stuff for a while now.
Only got about 400 miles on it right now but it never hurts to plan ahead.