xm ready??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default xm ready??

I see that the 06 HCH has an xm ready stereo radio in it. What exactly does this mean and what do you need to be able to receive xm broadcasts besides subscribing to the service? Do you need some kind of adapter or seperate xm tuner?

Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: xm ready??

You'll have to buy and install the adapter and it's pricey. See: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ighlight=civic

Old 11-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

This may already be known, but it appears the Civic coupe with Nav gets XM radio with the package. On the sedan (including Hybrid) with Nav, or any EX model or Hybrid without Nav, it's XM ready, meaning it can be a dealer install. The install is complicated, requiring significant dash, center console, rear seat and trunk area disassembly. The worst part of all is the stupid location of the antenna, inside the front windsheild, upper right-hand corner, and some tape on the outside to hide the adhesive.
Why they complicated the option amoung models, I don't know.
So, I think that's why there is some confusion. The coupe w/Nav gets XM and all others that are "ready" it's a dealer install.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Correct.

The install is overtly difficult and requires too much dissasembly to make sense for me at this time. 880 bucks to have the chump at the service dept hack up your ride!? No thanks. List of tools required includes HAMMER and KNIFE.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:31 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: xm ready??

Well; Not to be Sarcastic or Funny, but if the Honda Certified Technician cannot install the X/M in a HCH ll, I cannot even Imagine a layman taking his or her Brand New 2006 HCH ll completely apart and then put it back together better than the Dealer. I (IMO) think If the Labor Cost is that high and the Install that complicated just maybe theres a reason for the high cost of the install. I'll personally take the Certified Tech. but as they say to each his own. Hey, just think you didn't spend but $20,000.00 Plus for that New HCH ll, so why not take a chance and strip it down. Besides; after you burn or short something out the Dealer will probably not charge you all that much to put (Humpty-Dumpty) back together again.

Terry

BTW; Last Comment on this, Dealer installs X/M you have Factory Warranty ; You do the install and you have (NO-WARRANTY-PERIOD) Think !!!!!

Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Well; Not to be Sarcastic or Funny, but if the Honda Certified Technician cannot install the X/M in a HCH ll, I cannot even Imagine a layman taking his or her Brand New 2006 HCH ll completely apart and then put it back together better than the Dealer. I (IMO) think If the Labor Cost is that high and the Install that complicated just maybe theres a reason for the high cost of the install. I'll personally take the Certified Tech. but as they say to each his own. Hey, just think you didn't spend but $20,000.00 Plus for that New HCH ll, so why not take a chance and strip it down. Besides; after you burn or short something out the Dealer will probably not charge you all that much to put (Humpty-Dumpty) back together again.

Terry

BTW; Last Comment on this, Dealer installs X/M you have Factory Warranty ; You do the install and you have (NO-WARRANTY-PERIOD) Think !!!!!

Well, here's my take. First, Honda did this all wrong. Any 'XM ready' car should have the basic wiring in place, so that only the box and antenna need be installed. That's the way it is in many cars. The extent of interior disassembly is too extreme in this car.
I'm probably a little more do-it-yourself inclined than the next guy, so the whole procedure doesn't intimidate me. I know I could do as good a job (or better) as the dealer and would take way more care in the process. You gotta remember that "certified tech" is likely a drop-out or trade school grad that is no smarter nor familiar with this new car than I. I'd be reading the same instruction sheet as he. I won't be getting my greasy boots and hands all over the nice clean beige interior. I will reassemble everything with the utmost care. It will be my car for years, he hopes he'll never see it again. I'll know every screw went back where it came from, with him I'll never know how many didn't get put back in.
I've gone back behind "professional installs" in the past only to find slipshod wiring connections and hidden, broken, misassembled items, simply due to a lack care and pride in the work. As for warranty, they'll fight you to the end and in the mean time your stuck with the shotty work.
I hate to take a car to anyone for anything

Old 12-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Do what many of us have done, and buy an XM Roady XT.... I got mine for $34.99 after rebate. Installed in minutes.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9G-Man
Well, here's my take. First, Honda did this all wrong. Any 'XM ready' car should have the basic wiring in place, so that only the box and antenna need be installed. That's the way it is in many cars. The extent of interior disassembly is too extreme in this car.
I'm probably a little more do-it-yourself inclined than the next guy, so the whole procedure doesn't intimidate me. I know I could do as good a job (or better) as the dealer and would take way more care in the process. You gotta remember that "certified tech" is likely a drop-out or trade school grad that is no smarter nor familiar with this new car than I. I'd be reading the same instruction sheet as he. I won't be getting my greasy boots and hands all over the nice clean beige interior. I will reassemble everything with the utmost care. It will be my car for years, he hopes he'll never see it again. I'll know every screw went back where it came from, with him I'll never know how many didn't get put back in.
I've gone back behind "professional installs" in the past only to find slipshod wiring connections and hidden, broken, misassembled items, simply due to a lack care and pride in the work. As for warranty, they'll fight you to the end and in the mean time your stuck with the shotty work.
I hate to take a car to anyone for anything
Exactly!
This is why I have learned to do alot of the work on my car myself.
Simply put, especially in new models, the "techs" are reading the same manuals for the first time like I am.

Think!!

Last edited by powerglide; 12-09-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Owner

Anyone know who manufactures the radios for Honda? Maybe we could use a XM universal tuner from Terk and a brand specific adapter.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=&brand=

Old 12-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've heard it's Alpine, but I'm not 100% sure. I've wondered about the same possibility.

Quick Reply: xm ready??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands