Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Austin hopes to take lead on plug-in car technology

Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Site Founder
Default Austin hopes to take lead on plug-in car technology

In some ways, Texas’ capital city doesn’t belong in stereotypical Texas at all. Its quirky music scene and liberal attitudes defy the state’s well-known rough-and-tumble character.

Now the liberal enclave of Austin wants to distinguish itself again. Austin hopes to be the first city in the nation to put the emerging technology of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles to use in the fight to reduce dependence on foreign oil, combat high oil prices and cut down on greenhouse gas emissions.

Austin Energy, the city’s public utility, has big plans for plug-in vehicles beyond just cutting down on gas consumption. The city hopes the cars can eventually supplement the city’s electricity supply during peak hours.
http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articl...ws/state06.txt

Old 04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Austin hopes to take lead on plug-in car technology

Good find Jason. The battery technology for plug-ins gets closer by the week and is not far away. See this link below. I got from soopahman I think.

www.a123systems.com