Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

CA Assembly committee rejects bill designed to reduce hybrid costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Site Founder
Default CA Assembly committee rejects bill designed to reduce hybrid costs

A bill designed to increase production of hybrid cars and lower their price by allowing manufacturers to sell directly to motorists was rejected by an Assembly committee. The measure, which was supported by several environmental groups but opposed by auto dealers and manufacturers, went down to defeat Monday night on a 4-4 vote in the Transportation Committee.

It needed at least seven votes, a majority of the 13-member committee, to pass. Five lawmakers didn't vote.

The bill would allow manufacturers and others who obtained a special license from the Department of Motor Vehicles to sell new hybrids and other super-low-emission vehicles directly over the Internet.
- http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...n164025D42.DTL

Old 04-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Default Re: CA Assembly committee rejects bill designed to reduce hybrid costs

If I were to elect Assemblymen I would definately not vote for any of the 5 that didn't vote.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

On the Net: Read the defeated bill, AB1223, at:

http://www.assembly.ca.gov

I agree that Assemblypersons who don't even show up for work should be replaced.

The five committee members — Shirley Horton, R-Bonita, Betty Karnette, D-Long Beach, Carol Liu, D-South Pasadena, Simon Salinas, D-Salinas, and Alberto Torrico, D-Fremont — who didn't vote.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Site Founder

Well, sometimes it just doesn't make practical sense to vote. If you know it's going to fail and are planning to vote against it anyway, it saves time so you can concentrate on other things.