Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Chrysler begins plug-in hybrid van project

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Site Founder

Daimler Chrysler has announced it will test a plug-in hybrid-electric drive train with an internal combustion engine in its Dodge Sprinter vans in early 2005. Featuring technology spearheaded by the Palo Alto-based Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), the U.S. test marks the domestic launch of a collaborative venture that will gauge the technological feasibility of such vehicles and monitor market acceptance.

The current program includes the design, building and testing of three Sprinter Vehicles. One will be a diesel version to be operated by the Kansas City Regional Transit Authority. Two gasoline versions will be fleet-tested by Southern California Edison and South Coast Air Quality Management District. Test, performance and operating data will be captured and reported at the conclusion of this program.

View entire article here.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

It can be charged through a standard 110- or 220-volt outlet. Running on electricity alone, the Dodge Sprinter will travel up to 20 miles before the engine is needed. The 20-mile range represents 50 percent of all daily travel driven by Americans, who drive on average 12,000 miles annually, EPRI reports.
I think this is wonderful news. I would have loved the possibility to charge my -00 Prius at night with nuclear, hydro- and windpower. I have the Prius miniscanner, and know that the battery SoC very seldomly raises over 60 %. If I could charge it up to 100 % every night, think of the mileage I would get... And for my short trips in town, I would not pollute city air at all.