Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Ford, Honda unveil latest hybrid autos at Sierra Club convention

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Site Founder
Default Ford, Honda unveil latest hybrid autos at Sierra Club convention

At the Sierra Summit, Ford offered consumers their first peek at their latest hybrid sports utility vehicle - the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. The compact, four-wheel-drive SUV can get 33 miles per gallon in the city and 29 miles per gallon on highways... Honda unveiled its latest hybrid offering - the 2006 Civic Hybrid, which can get 50 miles per gallon on highways and city streets... Toyota did not introduce any new model hybrids Friday, but announced earlier this year it would soon start selling a hybrid version of its Camry sedan and a seven-passenger SUV called the Highlander Hybrid.
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journal...s/12604997.htm

Old 09-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Proudest Monkey
Default Re: Ford, Honda unveil latest hybrid autos at Sierra Club convention

I think I recall seeing that the Mariner hybrid will be engineered at PZEV across the board. Can anybody confirm this? Also, how do the Escape's emissions look?

Old 09-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

2005 Escape is LEV (1/10) in a few states, Bin 4 (7/10) in most, and SULEV II (9/10) in 'clean' states, according to the www.fueleconomy.gov website.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

Detroit's first hybrid focus is and will be on SUVs and trucks because these are their high profit-margin products, the sales of which have plummeted. These gas-guzzling vehicles, once the darlings of the auto-bying consumer, are now shunned in the wake of high gas prices. Oddly enough, it is the Japanese who are meeting the needs of consumers who need a thrifty, everyday commuter (hybrid) car. A long-time Chrysler owner, I called a local dealer and emailed Chrysler.com last July, asking where the Chrysler hybrids were. The answer, after a long silence, was the Dodge Ram truck and S-class Mercedes. I then asked what about cars 'for the rest of us'? Again, a long silence, but this time no answer followed. Detroit has failed us, and they will need several years to 'catch-up'. I found my hybrid in another State, not having found one in my Home State, buying it just before gas (and hybrid) price skyrocketed. Hybrids now cost an average of 40% more than before the current gas crisis. DETROIT ARE YOU LISTENING?

Last edited by Ricco; 09-12-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:45 AM

Hi Ricco:

___If all Toyota had in their lineup was the Hybrid’s to date (Prius II, HH, and RXh), they would be in worse financial straights then GM This will not be the case in a few years given the supply, demand, and mass-production of hybrid components as well as the price increases piled onto the Prius II since release but an average Camry or Corolla was more profitable at one time and that still may be the case today? Toyota is expanding/building new non-hybrid Truck/SUV manufacturing facilities, not downsizing or shuddering them for hybrid manufacturing ones in the same proportions if what I read is correct?

___Detroit does have to get their heads out of their $%(#*$ but Toyota is not doing you much in the way of favors when it comes to saving the planet or placing more $’s in your pocket either

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's an interesting article that's good for a bit of perspective. The new Hemi engine has probably been more profitable to Chrysler than all the world-wide hybrid sales to date, and even for some time to come. Chrysler has sold one million Hemis that cost less than $100 extra to make, at prices 5 to over 10 times higher. How long this can last and if they'll get caught flat footed with V8s is the debatable part.

Hemi vs. Hybrid

WardsAuto.com, Jul 7 2005

Before suggesting Detroit auto makers are idiots for not focusing on fuel misers and hybrids, critics should follow the money.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_hemi_vs_hybrid/

Last edited by Romir; 09-19-2005 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Toyota is not a saint -- which is an oxymoron in business -- but I'll say the following is to their credit:

1. Their enviro manufacturing costs are exceptional.
2. Almost across the board, Toyota vehicles of same weight class have much better MPG then the industry average.
3. Great reliability is a an under appreciated, significant enviro benefit.
4. They took the initiative to pursue hybrids without waiting for a sure market, or gov handouts.

I really think they have internalized the notion that Green is a lucrative business strategy. Not *only* green, but a quite a bit, and more on the way.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
FEH Advocate

You might find theses statistics interesting ...
HybridCars.com blogger Walter McManus points out:
  • GM improved fuel economy from 1975 to 2004 by 8 MPG (62%) and reduced their average vehicle weight by 250 pounds (6%).
  • Toyota improved from 1975 to 2004 by 5 MPG (25%) and increased their average vehicle weight by more than 1,000 pounds (38%).
  • If GM had only improved their MPG as much as Toyota did, then their 2004 model year fleet would have burned 647 million more gallons of gasoline per year (19% more).
  • If Toyota had improved their MPG as much as GM did, then their 2004 fleet would have burned 169 million fewer gallons of gasoline per year (13% less).
Walter asks, "Who would you give the gold star?"

Old 09-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gillman

• GM improved fuel economy from 1975 to 2004 by 8 MPG (62%) and reduced their average vehicle weight by 250 pounds (6%).<<
  • Toyota improved from 1975 to 2004 by 5 MPG (25%) and increased their average vehicle weight by more than 1,000 pounds (38%).<<
  • If GM had only improved their MPG as much as Toyota did, then their 2004 model year fleet would have burned 647 million more gallons of gasoline per year (19% more).<<
  • If Toyota had improved their MPG as much as GM did, then their 2004 fleet would have burned 169 million fewer gallons of gasoline per year (13% less).<<
That's pretty misleading. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan had just gotten a foothold in the market by offering smaller vehicles than the domestics. These companies were only able capture more market share by literally expanding their lineup. GM had to do the opposite partly because of the new CAFE standards and partly because of market realities. The price of oil had just gone up 5 times and would never go back to trading between one to three dollars.

The average domestic vehicle in 1975 weighed 3940 pounds, and managed 15.1 mpg. Meanwhile, the average import weighed 2393 pounds, and got 24.2 mpg. Look at the interior sizes and hp/weight ratios for a bit of a shock. Historical fleet characteristics.

Is it also fair to say Ford's fleet mileage average of 19.1 has declined 25% from the 80-year old Model-T's 25mpg?

Old 09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

I had the pleasure of driving the new 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid at the Summit. This car feels much more substantial and upscale with a very sleek new "two tier" control pod on the dash. The exterior styling is swoppy and elegant with great aerodynamics, without going "larval". Windows closed, the car isolates road and traffic noise extremely well. The hybrid system is basically seamless.The EPA mileage numbers are pending but Honda is now claiming 50/50. The car seems a bit more peppy than the previous gen, but its 110hp now has to haul a bit more weight. One complaint... The rear seat STILL DOESN'T GO DOWN... So if you're looking for cargo room, the Prius is still the winner.

Overally, Honda has a really terrific car here.... I think Prius is going to get a run for its money on this one.