Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Ford unveils its second hybrid SUV

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Site Founder
Default Ford unveils its second hybrid SUV

Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday formally introduced its second gas-electric SUV, the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid.

Unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show, the Mariner Hybrid is similar to the Ford Escape Hybrid that preceded it last year, getting about 33 miles per gallon in the city and 29 miles per gallon on the highway -- or 30 percent more than the regular Mariner SUV. The hybrid retains the same interior space as its gasoline sibling, Ford said, and the exterior differences are mainly an air vent in the driver's side rear window to cool off the hybrid battery pack as well as "HYBRID" badges on the liftgate, front doors and engine cover.

Read the entire article here.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

FORD needs to stop posting BS mpg figures

atleast the others get close to thier posted MPG

Old 02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Iboomalot:
Originally Posted by iboomalot
FORD needs to stop posting BS mpg figures
At least the others get close to their posted MPG
___You do like to stir the pot, don’t you … The EPA numbers you see on any car are generated by running certain specific test(s) in a given temperature environment, with no load accessories, on a treadmill. There is no BS.

___Secondly, the Ford Escape’s being represented here have 1 hypermiler of 7 in total that report tank over tank data. These 7 Escape HEV’s also have an accumulative mean that is just 10% below the EPA combined and this includes being released just as colder temperatures arrived country wide. A little comparison for you … The AH is running a cumulative mean of 27 mpg which is 19% below its EPA combined. The AH is the latest hybrid release other then the Mercury Mariner and right into the dead of winter so expect it to catch up somewhat as the months roll on. The Civic and Insight are just about dead on within their EPA combined so I won’t do the calc’s on them. And then we have the Prius II. It has been out for over a year so we have a years worth of data to rely on. Given its 48 mpg cumulative average here at GH and its EPA combined of 55.5, it is running 13.6% beneath its projected EPA combined.

___With the above as posted here at GH and by comparison to the EPA’s combined, would you like to make other comments in regards to the Escape HEV’s lack of FE in the real world? I think they (Ford) has done a terrific job given it is a PZEV in the clean fuel states and is achieving a very healthy average considering what most others driving SUV’s today are receiving. I am proud of the fact that Ford took it upon themselves to create a Hybrid from the Escape and Mariner. With that, you have quite a few receiving the benefits of an SUV and the greenness of just about any hybrid available.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 02-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

the Escape is 33.5 combined thats more than 10% off

there are also people getting near EPA #s because they drive like old women or from the 1970s.

60 mph on a hwy thats sad Drive 70-80 like everyone else on the road and put down some real world #s

I wouldn't call an escape a SUV more like an overgrown car. SUV gets so watered down its redick but thats a different subject.

Yes its still nice to see Ford doing thier part **claps** but EPA needs to get into the 21st century and rate cars better. End of Story.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:18 PM

Hi Iboomalot:

___Although Sdctcher’s Escape is listed as a 2WD, it is a 4WD version. Look up the 4WD Escape HEV’s EPA again and then come back and tell us what you have learned … You can call the Escape HEV whatever you want. It is larger then the CRV and RAV4 yet achieves superior FE. Anything else that you dislike about Ford in general?

___In regards to running like old woman from the 70’s, are you talking about those that obey the speed limits or something else? If you want to drive 80 + mph like supposedly everyone else, it is certainly your right. It is also your right to burn far more fuel in whatever you drive and pollute that much more as well. Why do you post here if that is your goal?

___As for the EPA, they do need to improve their test estimates. They have plenty of other more realistic tests at their disposal including ones with A/C and accessory use in 95 degree temps as well as those performed in 20 degree temps. Will they finally switch over to these newly improved tests? The Alliance of Automobile manufacturers are against such a switchover but the only reason that I can think of why is that the city tests will show such abysmal numbers as to make the US Consumer run to much smaller and more fuel efficient automobiles. That last statement is my own opinion in its totality.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 02-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got a Civic Hybrid with the CVT tranny. I started driving it at 60-65mph. It's got just over 5000 miles on it, and I'm averaging 43.5mpg. Sometimes I drive it 60-65, others I drive it close to 100mph. If I get a big down hill, and can get 80mph out of her and still get 60mpg, I'll do it. I try to keep the current reading in the 40mpg range, but sometimes I'm down in the 20's. I purchased the car in November, and drive it everyday in DC traffic for a 98 mile round trip. As warmer weather arrives, I bet the mileage will go up, but for now, I'm perfectly content with my average. I'm happy to see the Escape. Anything that can drive down the overall consumption of fuel is a great thing. The more gas we can save as consumers, the better the prices for airlines and train services will get as we drive down overall demand for fuel. This saves everyone money.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

maybe our speed limits are different in town hwy is 60-65 and most people (flow of traffic) is 70 and interstate/ toll roads are 70/75 mph and flow is speed limt + (5 - 10mph).

only people who drive 60 on any HWY here are stuck in rush hour traffic or can't see over the steering wheel

even side two lane hwys are 65

I have owned Ford and they make good products but the RAV4 etc IMO are a waste of space. Since when is something smaller than a accord or Pruis considered a SUV maybe that stands for Small Useless Vehicle so they can get thier special favors from the Gov't.

Just like to see Hybrids tested for more accurate #s

The Escape Hybrid offers front-wheel drive or automatic intelligent 4WD, along with impressive 31/36 city/hwy fuel economy

they seem to choose to not widely publish any 4wd specs just the 31/36

but

http://www.fueleconomyone.com/ has the 4WD at 31 mpg combined

Last edited by iboomalot; 02-13-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:52 PM

Hi Iboomalot:

___It is always funny when someone says the speed limits are 60 - 65 around here but to move with the flow of traffic, you have to do 70 - 75 +. Does the right lane in your locale say off-limits to those that want to save a gallon of fuel an hour? Does the right lane say you have to go 5 - 15 over the speed limits? Do you not have truck speed limits wherever you live? Are all of the truly professional drivers in their massive 18-wheel’ed rigs driving 75 - 80 + mph in the far right lanes? I absolutely love this kind of discussion. The Californian’s in particular love to defend such high over the limit speeds yet in my drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas, to Clovis, to San Francisco, to LA, and back to Phoenix last August, I found the professionals traveling at the ~ same speeds they do here in Illinois. Some higher of course as we have those as well but for the most part, that meant 55 - 65 mph in the far right lanes. Again, you can choose to pass what ever big rigs you want, stay far above the limits in the center or left lanes as you want, or stay camped out in the far left lanes at speeds that would mean instant death if you were to ever encounter anything of significance as long as you feel it is safe. Those of us that actually give a **** about where the fuel we consume comes from, the emissions we output, and enjoy our rides as well as the drive will stay in the right lanes at or around the limits ( + or -) all while still inside the law.

___In regards to the RAV4, CRV, and Escape, you have your opinion and the almost 400,000 others that purchased those 3 vehicles last year have theirs.

___Some hybrid’s come pretty darn close to their EPA combined. Some do not, as the RHMDB shows.

___Finally, you figured out what the 4WD Escape is EPA rated at so please dispense with the Ford bashing as they are doing quite well with the offerings they have provided to date. Can they do better? Sure just as all manufacturers can but from my viewpoint, you have a small SUV using a body style w/ a Cd of .404 achieving remarkable mileage if I do say so myself. Not only is the frontal area probably 50% larger then that of a Prius II or HCH, the Cd is ~ 50% higher as well. Do the math and you can see that the Escape HEV was a major accomplishment and although there are some reasons I would not purchase one for myself, you cannot do better in a vehicle of equivalent size or utility unless going to a Euro III/IV based diesel and those things are not even close to PZEV’s.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 02-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

unlike texas we don't have truck speed limits

alot of company drivers have a computer that won't let them even do 75 mph the posted speed limit.

Hey they don't call the Hefner parkway the Hefner Speedway because its slow

if you want to drive slow its within your right. Best part is I can drive 75-80 mph and get 49-50 mpg and have more than 100 hp and 170 lbs of torque on tap to pass people.

Old 02-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Hi Iboomalot:
Originally Posted by iboomalot
if you want to drive slow its within your right. Best part is I can drive 75-80 mph and get 49-50 mpg and have more than 100 hp and 170 lbs of torque on tap to pass people.
___Man, your numbers are impressive … I only get between 105 and 115 mpg at 50 mph in summer time temps and have plenty of HP and torque to pass people if I would like as well? Fortunately, I don’t need to be the first to work or home, just safe to work or home. Who cares more about the environment, where our crude comes from, what we can do about it, etc. … The Escape HEV pilot is not receiving 50 mpg but they are spewing far less NOx, PM, possibly CO, and HC’s then either of us given it is a PZEV after all.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Ford unveils its second hybrid SUV

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands