Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Ford to use Toyota hybrid system technology

Old 03-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Site Founder

Toyota Motor Corp said on Tuesday that Ford Motor Co would use some of its hybrid engine technology, in a pact that underlines the Japanese auto giant's strong lead in eco-friendly gasoline-electric know-how.

Toyota, which recently overtook Ford to become the world's second-largest auto maker, is keen to see the overall market for hybrids grow while promoting its technology and expanding its hybrid lineup.

View entire article here.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

cool...maybe the build quality of other ford products will pick up as well. i wish that daihitsu would come to the states....

Old 03-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

There was a similar announcement a few years ago, but it vanished quickly. I'm tired of waiting for the Escape hybrid, but it's better than GM is doing now.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___IIRC, the original Escape Hybrid drivetrain except for the ICE was supposed to be all Toyota’s. About 9 months ago, I thought I had read the Ford backed out of that deal given Toyota was offering Ford just the 01-03 Prius technology and not the 04’s and beyond. Now it appears that Ford will be using just some of the control and emission technology according to the press release? I am a bit bothered by the emission technology given Ford is apparently using that wonderfully high powered and quiet 2.3 L PZEV sitting in the PZEV Focus’. A change to the intake valve timing and manifold makes it an Atkinson … I wonder if Toyota somehow patented something in the intake manifold itself? What emission technology did Ford need to borrow? The Thermos? It also appears that the Escape HEV will use a PSD very similar to the Prius’? I am not sure that Toyota has that item locked up as I thought the idea was American from way back? Anyone have conformation on the PSD being non-patentable? In any case, I would love to own the Ford Escape as my next vehicle. The PZEV Focus’ are not only proving to be extremely quick, they are proving to be reliable as well as extremely clean.

___On the reliability front, this report might swing some doubter’s? Asian cars rated most reliable – report
For three-year old models, the Asian automakers had an average of 54 problems per 100 vehicles, versus 60 per 100 for the U.S. automakers and 67 per 100 for the Europeans.
___The Domestics have come a long way … That and my supposedly extremely reliable 1 year old - 03 Corolla LE just popped a CEL tonight which most certainly didn’t help

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net