Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

G.M. Will Close 4 Plants, May Sell "Hummer"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Site Founder
Default G.M. Will Close 4 Plants, May Sell "Hummer"

Gas prices are changing consumer behavior says G.M., forcing the manufacturer to slash production and close 4 plants as they make the shift toward more fuel efficient vehicles. They also announced that they may sell the "Hummer" brand.
http://consumerist.com/tag/auto/?i=5...ay-sell-hummer

Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Outcast Enthusiast
Default Re: G.M. Will Close 4 Plants, May Sell "Hummer"

GM 1
Toyota 0

GM is moving in the right direction in response to gas prices. Looks like Toyota may be happy to keep supply down and let Toyota dealers continue to gouge the US consumer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24888196/

Guess that's
GM 2
Toyota 0

Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by doasc
GM 1
Toyota 0

GM is moving in the right direction in response to gas prices. Looks like Toyota may be happy to keep supply down and let Toyota dealers continue to gouge the US consumer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24888196/

Guess that's
GM 2
Toyota 0
Where are you getting this GM 2, Toyota 0 crap? Toyota's vehicles are in demand so they command a premium. It is great that GM is moving in the right direction but they are seriously behind. I hope they catch up. They certainly have some interesting products in the pipeline.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigTuna
Where are you getting this GM 2, Toyota 0 crap? Toyota's vehicles are in demand so they command a premium. It is great that GM is moving in the right direction but they are seriously behind. I hope they catch up. They certainly have some interesting products in the pipeline.
Well that is incorrect. I do not recall GM selling over 1 million hybrids (Toyota sold 1 million hybrids). Oh wait, GM does not even have a vehicle on the market to compete with the Prius. Of course, there is talk about the Volt. At this point, that is all that it is. I have not seen any Volts driving by me lately. GM will never catch up to the Japanese. They are too busy making Hummers. Maybe all of the left over Hummers, they could CRUSH, just like they did with the EV1.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by valerieannt
Well that is incorrect. I do not recall GM selling over 1 million hybrids (Toyota sold 1 million hybrids). Oh wait, GM does not even have a vehicle on the market to compete with the Prius. Of course, there is talk about the Volt. At this point, that is all that it is. I have not seen any Volts driving by me lately. GM will never catch up to the Japanese. They are too busy making Hummers. Maybe all of the left over Hummers, they could CRUSH, just like they did with the EV1.
What is incorrect about what I said?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

Toyota sold over 1 million hybrids over a ten year period. GM sold 826,500 full size trucks in 2007. Two years ago Toyota invested $1.2B in the San Antonio Full-size Truck plant. All those Tundra and Sequoia ads must have paid off since combined (16K) they out sold the Prius (15k) for May.

As far as GM being behind, the Astra that is currently being sold by Saturn is available with a diesel in Europe and gets 38/55 city/highway mileage. The smaller Opel Corsa (Yaris size) can be had with a diesel and gets 41/61. I haven't read about these coming over yet.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigTuna
What is incorrect about what I said?
GM 2
Toyota 0

That is definitely flipped. GM's lineup consists of two words- GAS GUZZLERS. Stop and count how many gas efficient vehicles GM has on the road today (I could do this on one hand) and it is probably just one being the Cobalt. They do not even have anything close to the Prius (hybrid and gets over 50mpg).

OK, now count the HUMMERS.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Heh heh.. maybe they should add 2-Mode to the Hummer H2 and charge an extra $15k. Then the H2H would get 11 MPG instead of 8 MPG. Yeah.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by valerieannt
GM 2
Toyota 0

That is definitely flipped. GM's lineup consists of two words- GAS GUZZLERS. Stop and count how many gas efficient vehicles GM has on the road today (I could do this on one hand) and it is probably just one being the Cobalt. They do not even have anything close to the Prius (hybrid and gets over 50mpg).

OK, now count the HUMMERS.
I'm not the one who said GM 2 Toyota 0. You know that correct?

doasc said it in the post above mine.

I agree with you.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Seems like these two companies are going in opposite directions.

Gas guzzlers:
- GM closes 4 plants that manufacturer gas guzzlers
- Toyota puts $1.2B into gas guzzler plant

Hybrid/Electric:
- GM goes forward with Volt
- Toyota refusing to expand Prius production into US

If you compare line ups from 20 years ago. Toyota has added a bunch of gas guzzlers and on the fuel efficient end the Prius replaces the Starlet and the Yaris/Echo the Tercel. GM pretty much hasn't changed with the same gas guzzlers and their fuel efficient cars being outsourced by Toyota (Nova/Matrix) and Suzuki/Daewoo (Metro/Aveo).

Perhaps the "sports scoring" analogy is lost on this crowd

Quick Reply: G.M. Will Close 4 Plants, May Sell "Hummer"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands