Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Gas-sipping SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Site Founder
Default Gas-sipping SUVs

The terms "gas-guzzling" and "SUVs" have become so firmly attached these days that it seems it would take two Hummer H1s with heavy-duty winches to pull them apart. Actually, all it should take is one Ford Escape hybrid or, perhaps, a Hyundai Tucson.

The fact is, regardless of gasoline prices, SUVs remain popular. But that doesn't mean things haven't changed in the face of rising fuel prices. Large SUVs, the ones that actually do guzzle lots of gas, are becoming less popular.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/carrev...uvs/index.html

Old 10-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Gas-sipping SUVs

bushit!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned
Default Trend to Crossover Utilities?

The CNN article seemed to describe crossover utility vehicles without using the term. This would apply to smaller SUV's in a car frame. While I don't think the Honda Element is a CUV per se, it's lower to the ground and makes good use of it's space. The Lexus rx400h and Acura MDX have a much more streamlined front than the Dodge Ram.

Station wagons may never come back, but a trend towards CUV's and smaller mini-vans would still be a step in the right direction. This is in essence what Keith Bradsher, author of High and Mighty is hoping for.

The book is out of print, but I got it this week for shipping plus $.75! Very well written and informative. I highly recommend clicking the link above and getting a copy.

One thing Keith Bradshier mentions in his book is the under-30 demographic prefers the SUV hands-down. When this age group gets old, high-milage 6,000+ pound SUVs, there are going to be a lot of needless roadside memorials. Let's hope the gas pump prices, concern for the environment, etc. changes their minds....

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-15-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default what's in a name?

Well, IMHO calling a vehicle with a combined EPA listing of 21, 23 or even 25, a vehicle that is sipping gas is a joke, and a bad one at that!
My former, over 30 year old MGB-GT got over 25 mpg mixed, and most vehicles before SUVs were easily able to attain at least 25 mpg. I would argue that the term 'sipping' should be restricted to vehicles that use considerably less than the average of vehicles out there. To me, considerably less means half as much, or less. Personally, I would consider anything better than maybe 40 mixed to be sipping. Between 30 and 40 I would call consuming, between 20 and 30 I would call gulping, and below 20 I would call guzzling.
Just my 2 c