Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

General Motors First Hybrid Sedan Coming 2007

Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: General Motors First Hybrid Sedan Coming 2007

Guy in Kalamazoo: Any idea of the name of the plant near Kansas City? This doesn't seem to google well, and I'd like more information if I can get it.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Leahbeatle,

I don't think I kept my original note from Saturn Customer Service, but it looks like the Fairfax plant produces the Aura, including the hybrid. I googled "General Motors factory Kansas". The following link shows that GM also makes the Malibu.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.ph...=factory_guide

FYI, previous online info indicated that Malibu (on the same platform) would also come out with a mild hybrid in early 2007 ... I'm not sure if that's still the case, but a GM source confirmed to me that the 2008 Malibu would be a larger vehicle, slightly larger than the current Impala. I'm not sure at this point whether the 2008 Malibu will actually be a hybrid, either. It may be that GM isn't sure at this point, either. I'm encouraged that you like your Greenline VUE.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Guy in Kalamazoo: Any idea of the name of the plant near Kansas City? This doesn't seem to google well, and I'd like more information if I can get it.
Fairfax, Mo is a UAW represented plant that manufactures the Saturn Aura and will manufacture the next version of the Chevrolet Malibu, launching sometime in 2007 as a 2008 model.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by GuyInKalamazoo
Hi Leahbeatle,

I don't think I kept my original note from Saturn Customer Service, but it looks like the Fairfax plant produces the Aura, including the hybrid. I googled "General Motors factory Kansas". The following link shows that GM also makes the Malibu.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.ph...=factory_guide

FYI, previous online info indicated that Malibu (on the same platform) would also come out with a mild hybrid in early 2007 ... I'm not sure if that's still the case, but a GM source confirmed to me that the 2008 Malibu would be a larger vehicle, slightly larger than the current Impala. I'm not sure at this point whether the 2008 Malibu will actually be a hybrid, either. It may be that GM isn't sure at this point, either. I'm encouraged that you like your Greenline VUE.
From what I can tell (or more importantly, what I can tell YOU) the next Malibu will be larger than the current Malibu. It will not be larger than the current Impala. Best measure would be to compare the size of the Saturn Aura to the size of the current Malibu MAXX (not Malibu Sedan). You can also compare them to the Impala just to get a feel for how much larger the Impala is than either the Aura or the Malibu MAXX.

If you go to Edmunds.com you can compare all three side-by-side.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by JavaJ
.....I would hate to see what their hybrid creation attached to their old engines would do down the road.
The 2.4L that the BAS is mated to was introduced in the 2004 Chevrolet Cobalt, 2005 Chevrolet HHR, and the Pontiac Solstice.

The 3.6L V6 that the FWD Saturn VUE Green Line 2-Mode will be attached to was first introduced in the 2003 Cadillac CTS.

Definitely not old engines.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Martin!