Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

GM delivers world's first full-size hybrid pickups

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Site Founder

General Motors Corp. said that it had begun shipping the world's first full-size hybrid pick-up trucks to customers this week.

The automaker delivered the first hybrid Chevrolet Silverado to Miami-Dade county in Florida Monday, and will deliver a total of 500 gasoline-electric Silverados and GMC Sierras to fleet customers in the coming weeks.

View entire article here.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Contributor ($)

I would like to hear more about actual customer reactions to these trucks. I wonder from a real world perspective if they are going to have the power for those special times when a truck really needs it. (ie towing a boat, hauling very large loads). I'm certain for those that use it mainly for communting it will be a nice change of pace at the gas pumps.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by ericbecky@May 5th 2004 @ 11:16 AM
I'm certain for those that use it mainly for communting it will be a nice change of pace at the gas pumps.
I am not certain what the big deal is. Those trucks get about 17 MPG (on the highway) and a 12% increase is only 2 MPG.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:10 AM

Hi Ericbecky:

___They are using the same 5.3 L ICE as the std. ½ Ton P/U’s so towing and performance will not be a problem w/ this particular engine from my understanding. The Fuel economy increase however is abysmal. Just 1 to 2 mpg depending on the EPA City/Hwy estimates. How can a Hybrid w/ Autostop receive only 2 mpg increase in fuel economy in the EPA city cycle given the many minutes of sitting at the lights in Autostop with one? That is what I want to know?

Hybrid C15: 18/20 City/Hwy
Std. ICE C1500: 16/19 City/Hwy

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-02-2004, 03:54 PM

I can't comment on the % of fuel saved but I can comment on AutoStop.

I understand global warming etc is a big concern for a great many people.
Personally I'm less concerned until it comes to AutoStop.
Can't count the endless times I'm sitting at the light with my engine stopped and NOT contributing to the other car's exhaust rolling over my hood, breathing OTHER peoples waste.
I think if hybrids really catch on then who knows perhaps this concentrated smog cloud at stop lights may be reduced. Imagine how nice that would be over 10 or so years?
Thanks