Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

GM reveals production version of 2011 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid

Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM reveals production version of 2011 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid

40 miles on just batteries. No gas needed, bet your diesel cannot do that.
Two methods of charging - plug in or small gas engine solely for recharging the battery.
I read on long trips the gas / electric could be over 50 mpg but this car is aimed mainly at the daily commuters. However with competition growing I'm thinking they will be well above 50 in mpg.

Last edited by test54; 09-24-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery ops or great mileage

I can get 50 mpg with my Prius in the summer and 45 in the winter. I already get very good mileage.

The next step for me is the electric running. Most people who occupy automobiles are not aware of the effect of exhaust.

I have ridden bicycles and now walk and take public transit. When you are on the street, sidewalk and in traffic you notice exhaust that the person in the air conditioned recycled air car does not notice.

I am an urban dweller and associate broker with Prudential Manor Homes, REALTORS. email: jcassidy@prudentialmanor.com , 518.423.3510.

In promoting urban life it would be good for me to not pollute where I live and where I recommend others live. The 40 mi. electric range could with ease take me through the day.

This is where I want to be. Urban and transit oriented living is a coming trend. It is not for everyone. This is worth an entire blog by its self. If I knew how to do one I would set one up on my web site.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

@test54: Sorry, I just took Jasons quote as read: "The production version of the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, expected to yield up to 40mpg (5.88L/100km) fuel economy plus 40mi (64km) of emissions-free electric driving". I figured 'up to 40mpg' meant 'no better than 40mpg'. When I get that most days from a fairly standard tdi powertrain it's hard to understand why people get so excited about hybrids. It looks cool, but the concept version that was originally touted looked much cooler.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by readybrek
@test54: Sorry, I just took Jasons quote as read: "The production version of the 2011 Chevrolet Volt, expected to yield up to 40mpg (5.88L/100km) fuel economy plus 40mi (64km) of emissions-free electric driving". I figured 'up to 40mpg' meant 'no better than 40mpg'. When I get that most days from a fairly standard tdi powertrain it's hard to understand why people get so excited about hybrids. It looks cool, but the concept version that was originally touted looked much cooler.
The concept car is "cool" to some eyes. I saw immediately that they could never build this as a first design as the aero was way off. It was too much like the typical muscle car of the past.

Do not give up hope. Get on the list. GM will be changing their entire line to E-Flex. You will get a muscle car with cool styling. I actually want a smaller car than the Volt. I still want the PTO.

Jonathan Cassidy

Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by test54
40 miles on just batteries. No gas needed, bet your diesel cannot do that.
Two methods of charging - plug in or small gas engine solely for recharging the battery.
I read on long trips the gas / electric could be over 50 mpg but this car is aimed mainly at the daily commuters. However with competition growing I'm thinking they will be well above 50 in mpg.
Can the car go 200mi non-stop? I am wondering after you discharge the battery after the first 40mi of a trip how would the car perform with a "small gas engine" being the only energy source? Just how small is the engine?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dpayne
Can the car go 200mi non-stop? I am wondering after you discharge the battery after the first 40mi of a trip how would the car perform with a "small gas engine" being the only energy source? Just how small is the engine?
Yes! It can go wellover 200 Mi. without stopping. How much farther depends on: Your driving skils, the fuel you choose to power the range extender and the terrain.

With a large battery you have greater capacity to store unused kinetic energy from coasting and breaking. I do this all the time with my Prius, which has a very small battery set.

Your driving technique and strategies also are very important. Knowing when to get off the gas and coast into a traffic situation is important. This does make use of a driving techique that americans are not used to using: Looking downt the road. This also makes you a much safer driver.

GM is thinking of a fuel tank of 6 - 12 gallons. 6 gallons at 50 mpg is an added 300 miles. 10 gallons is an extra 50 miles. Better distances will be available with diesle.

Jonathan Cassidy

Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by dpayne
The latest announcement has the Volt using a 1.4L 4 cyl engine instead of the originally suggested 1.0L 3 cyl engine. The new engine will not be a "battery recharger" but instead will drive a generator to directly power the car's electric motor.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

40 mpg is an embarrasment !!! My non hybrid Altima gets 33 mpg hwy, 29 combined and is a much bigger car. Our hybrid Civic gets 48 combined and I have gotten as high as 50 mpg for an entire tank on many occasions. The new Honda insite and CRZ are rumored to get 50 - 55mpg. I really like the 40mile plug no gas range, but 40 mpg on long trips is a joke! Even the Chevy cruze is rumored to have higher mileage with no hybrid tech.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Hybrid Lover

After I watched "Who killed the electric car" I swore I'd never buy a GM product. So what if they have an electric car coming out in 2010? They had one in 1991 and trashed it. Screw them.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Energy Independence

Toyota and Ford tried to "trash" theirs as well. I watched that movie also. There is a LOT of blame to go around. CARB, for one. GM is certainly not blameless, but don't go through life thinking they were the only "evil" in that fiasco.
I'm just happy most manufacturers FINALLY seem to be seriously working on alternatives that make sense (and not just the way too expensive Hydrogen). They now KNOW electric is coming, they better get on board or they'll get left behind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM reveals production version of 2011 Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands