Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Site Founder
Default GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybrid

With eco-friendly Los Angeles as a backdrop, General Motors Corp. on Wednesday made its most aggressive push yet into the market for hybrid vehicles.Following an environmentally-themed speech from GM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner, who said the automaker would begin work on a plug-in version of the Saturn VUE Green Line hybrid, the automaker unveiled three new hybrid models for the 2008 model year at the L.A. Auto Show media preview.
The hybrid versions of the Saturn Aura sedan and GMC Yukon sport utility vehicle bring to eight the number of vehicles in GM's hybrid fleet. GM also unveiled its redesigned 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line SUV hybrid, which Wagoner said will be the launch platform for GM's two-mode hybrid system.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...DATE/611290443

Old 11-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybri

You know this means we're going to need a few 'enhancements' to GreenHybrid.com. For example, more database entries and forums. Also, the "Introduction" will need someway we can send a "Welcome" message to the hords of new hybrid owners who will find their way here. <GRINS>

Was there any mention of adding a simple "MPG" gauge to the hybrids too??

Bob Wilson

Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybri

Protester commends GM's Waggoner.
This is cool: http://photos.reuters.com/tv/videoCh...66f590b1d341ef

Old 11-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Energy Independence

That's pretty funny. But honestly, did anyone EXPECT him to take the bait?

Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I am glad that GM is upgrading the VUE to 2mode. A SUV is just too big of a vehicle to really benefit from BAS. Now, sticking BAS into an Aevo or an Aura wouldn't be a bad idea, however.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Owner

Unfortunately, the CEO wouldn't sign a pledge to be the leader in FE by 2010.

You can see the video here:
http://ran.org/

Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Engineering first

If they can't include an MPG gage in the instrument cluster, they are 'faking it.'

I'll be sending 'letters to the editor' of the major car publications and 'editorial' writers pointing out this fundamental flaw. What a brain-dead, obvious screw-up.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a Saturn Vue, FWD, 5-speed manual. The sticker says mileage of 29 on the highway, but, of course, I get less. Still, I find that I get around 25 mpg overall, which is impressive (as it's city and highway).

The Vue hybrid is also a FWD only vehicle (which is a bit of a strike as no 4WD version is available). Owners on Saturn forums, so far, are not impressed. The vehicle bounces from 21-27 mpg. In other words, the hybrid is very similar to the 5-speed manual. There doesn't seem to be any real difference, other than price.

Granted, the Vue hybrid is far less expensive than the FEH or especially the Toyota Highlander hybrid, but FEH owners are reporting mpg in the 30's, not 20's. There is an obvious difference between the FEH and normal Escape in terms of mileage, whereas, from what I've read of Saturn owners (and being one myself), this is not true for the Vue.

Therefore, if GM really wants to compete, they have to do a LOT better job on their hybrids than what they are doing now. To get, at best, 2-3 mpg more than the non-hybrid version (and even that's not guaranteed), will not have buyers rushing for those vehicles.

Perhaps their plug-ins will be better, but I'm not sure how buyers will respond there either. I think the huge advantage of Prius or FEH or Highlander Hybrid and even the Vue hybrid, is that they do NOT have to be plugged in. People can treat them just like their normal cars (relatively speaking). If someone forgets to plug in their car at night, will they be unable to get to work in the morning? I know this will be a concern with buyers.

In other words, GM is not only late to the "hybrid game", but they have work to do.

Last edited by doctoru2; 12-04-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

doctoru2, if you don't plug-in a plug-in hybrid, it behaves just like an ordinary non-plug hybrid (like a Prius). So you will still be able to get to work even if you never plug-in, it will just cost more dollars and CO2.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
If they can't include an MPG gage in the instrument cluster, they are 'faking it.'

I'll be sending 'letters to the editor' of the major car publications and 'editorial' writers pointing out this fundamental flaw. What a brain-dead, obvious screw-up.

Bob Wilson
I own the 2007 Vue Green Line Hybrid. The Vue did not have a CPU already integrated into the car to show real time mileage. GM chose not to upgrade the vehicle. The 2008 model, which is a completely new entity will have this I'm sure and as a two-mode Hybrid should perform well. I'm buying a ScanGauge to add onto my car to get real time data on mileage performance. I'm glad to see GM moving down the path to better mileage and newer technology.

Quick Reply: GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands