Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybri

Originally Posted by Saturn Vue Cleveland
I own the 2007 Vue Green Line Hybrid. The Vue did not have a CPU already integrated into the car to show real time mileage. GM chose not to upgrade the vehicle. The 2008 model, which is a completely new entity will have this I'm sure and as a two-mode Hybrid should perform well. I'm buying a ScanGauge to add onto my car to get real time data on mileage performance. I'm glad to see GM moving down the path to better mileage and newer technology.
If true, then I also applaud GM.

I have a Saturn Vue now - a 4-cyl, 5-speed manual, with FWD. Based on the posts I've seen here, I get about as good mileage - if not better(!) - with my vehicle when compared to the Saturn Vue Hybrid! Saturn compares their Vue Hybrid to their 6-cyl AWD vehicle, which is unfair, especially as the Hybrid is FWD. To me, it's better just to get the vehicle I have rather than pay thousands more for a vehicle that's really not that much better (if at all).

In contrast, the FEH does get improved mileage and has many more features, so to me, that's worth the upgrade. I'd love the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, but that's floating above $41K (once I add a few features I want), which is too expensive for me.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Default Re: GM unveils new hybrid models for 2008 and announces plan to develop plug-in hybri

The correct mileage comparison is to the FWD 4 Cylinder automatic, and I believe that is what GM uses when they say there is a 20% improvement. the normal FWD 4 cylinder is EPA rated at 22/27 and the hybrid is 27/32. that's about 20% higher on average.

We have had an active discussion on SaturnFans.com with several of the people that are posting mileage here. The mileage range of what people are getting in the real world is 23-29(sample size is only 5 right now). The main difference we have been seeing is the pattern of useage:

I get 24.2 mpg, but I commute 7 miles to work and stop 6-8 times in the commute that lasts 15 minutes. The car is just warming up when I'm at work. The person who gets 29 goes about 21 miles and only stops a couple of times. I hope we get more users on this site so we can learn about their patterns. It's all a bit moot since the 2008 Hybird Vue will be a true two-mode hybrid that can run electric-only mode which the 2007 cannot.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saturn Vue Cleveland
The correct mileage comparison is to the FWD 4 Cylinder automatic, and I believe that is what GM uses when they say there is a 20% improvement. the normal FWD 4 cylinder is EPA rated at 22/27 and the hybrid is 27/32. that's about 20% higher on average.

We have had an active discussion on SaturnFans.com with several of the people that are posting mileage here. The mileage range of what people are getting in the real world is 23-29(sample size is only 5 right now). The main difference we have been seeing is the pattern of useage:

I get 24.2 mpg, but I commute 7 miles to work and stop 6-8 times in the commute that lasts 15 minutes. The car is just warming up when I'm at work. The person who gets 29 goes about 21 miles and only stops a couple of times. I hope we get more users on this site so we can learn about their patterns. It's all a bit moot since the 2008 Hybird Vue will be a true two-mode hybrid that can run electric-only mode which the 2007 cannot.
I have seen Saturn compare their Hybrid to their 6cyl vehicle. However, I do not have a source, so if I am incorrect, I apologize.

My 4-cyl., manual was EPA rated for 29 on the highway and 24 in the city (not the numbers you quoted). Perhaps this changed for the '07 model, but that's what it was when I bought the '06 model in '05. In fact, this good mileage is one reason I bought the vehicle. With these numbers, the mileage is similar to the hybrid Vue, if not a bit better. Given that the Hybrid Vue is also a FWD, I'm not sure it's worth several thousand more.

I acknowledge that the data set is low. However, even with these limited numbers, I'm not impressed.

Therefore, I hope GM gets their hybrid mileage values up. And I also look forward to getting more data from other Hybrid Vue owners. I hope to buy a hybrid this year. The Hybrid Vue is a good choice as it's comparatively inexpensive and I've been impressed with my Vue. But as of this moment, I'm not leaning towards the Hybrid Vue.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Doc,
The comparision I am referring to is on the Saturn website when they announced the 2007 Hybrid Vue which compares to FWD 4 Cylinder Auto:
http://www.saturn.com/aboutus2/news/index.jsp

If you are looking to buy a hybrid, the first question is does it need to be an SUV? If the answer is yes, then I went the Vue way because it was dramatically cheaper than the Highlander (41K) or Mariner(28K) The Mariner was my second choice as I really didn't like the Escape as much, but I did think the Mariner with leather looked pretty good.

My recommendation would also depend on what type of driving you do. For more highway driving I think the 2007 Vue does pretty well, and would be very close to the Escape/Mariner Hybrid for a lot less money. The Escape/Mariner would do better in the city, but the car is still much more expensive(3-5K). It will take many miles to get the money back on such a cost differential if saving money is your only aim.

As you seem to, I really like the styling and fit of the Vue and prefer it to the Escape/Mariner styling. If you can, wait until 2008 and get the new two-mode Vue. It will probably cost more than $23K however.