Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda To Challenge Prius With a Dedicated Hybrid Model

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Site Founder
Default Honda To Challenge Prius With a Dedicated Hybrid Model

Honda learned from Toyota's success with the Prius that hybrid customers want their decision to drive a hybrid to be visible, so the company is planning a dedicated hybrid model that will feature its own unique styling rather than simply being a hybrid-powered version of an existing model, according to Dan Bonawitz, vice president of corporate planning and logistics for American Honda Motor Co. Inc.

The new hybrid-specific model will be the previously announced car that will slot in below the Civic Hybrid in price, he said. Honda has said that the car will debut in 2009.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121450

Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda To Challenge Prius With a Dedicated Hybrid Model

Wasn't the insight a pure hybrid model?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM

Yes, it was. I'm interested in the assertion that hybrid drivers want their decision to drive a hybrid to be visible. The Insight was a unique-looking car, but not as succesful commercially as the Prius. The article also asserts that the desire by many hybrid buyers to make a statement is a new thing. I wonder if that's really so. Do we really think this is a new thing, if it is in fact the case that many or most hybrid buyers now want to really SHOW that they are driving a hybrid?+

Old 07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Wasn't there an article somewhere that hinted that the 2009 mystery hybrid might look something like a Suzuki Areo, but made by Honda?

I would love to be able to buy a small hybrid hatchback in the $18-$20k range.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Yes, it was. I'm interested in the assertion that hybrid drivers want their decision to drive a hybrid to be visible. The Insight was a unique-looking car, but not as succesful commercially as the Prius. The article also asserts that the desire by many hybrid buyers to make a statement is a new thing. I wonder if that's really so. Do we really think this is a new thing, if it is in fact the case that many or most hybrid buyers now want to really SHOW that they are driving a hybrid?+
I don't know if its a new thing in general or not, but I know I do want to show I'm driving a Hybrid! I bought a TCH, and I am KEEPING the badges on it, 'cause I want people to know what it is! Frankly, I would have bought the Prius if it wasn't for the fact that the Camry is so much more comfortable. The Prius is way cooler looking. I know, my altruism is a little tarnished, but that's life.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Energy Independence

I'm not sure I wanted to SHOW that I'm driving a hybrid so much. I certainly didn't want to enough to buy a Prius or Insight, instead of my HCH-II. But I absolutely do not MIND telling people about my hybrid experience, and letting them know the positives there are about them, and squashing the false negatives.

My MAIN reason for buying the HCH-II was economic-based.

Over 100K miles, which vehicle (that I would consider owning) is likely to have the least TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). By my calculations/estimations, the HCH-II won out slightly over the regular Civic EX. Depending on the near-future price of gas, this difference could be quite small or pretty significant ($5/gallon gasoline will make the numbers favor the HCH-II much more quickly and substantially).

Since the HCH-II appeared to be at least a slight economic winner, I jumped on it, because using less fuel to boot (another pretty strong conviction of mine) made it a no-brainer for me.

Much cleaner emissions? A bonus (and a good thing).

Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Actually, one of the reasons I bought an Escape Hybrid was because it is so hard to tell that it's a hybrid....guess I'm in the minority. Seems like Ford gets a double whammy, most people want everybody to know they're driving a hybrid, which the FEH doesn't really do; and with the FEH, you can readily compare price to the very similar non-hybrid.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

I just like good looking vehicles. The hybrid portion is a huge bonus and I like how Honda at least gave us some unique features. I would love to see a design like their new Fuel Cell vehicle. And even more, bring over some more of the European syling (but then again, I am Canadian and like the hatch-back styles they have in Europe).

Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM

So DesertDog, let me be sure I get you- you bought the FEH because it's hard to tell it's a hybrid, but you think that most other buyers do not feel that way? Because that's the baseline assumption behind this article, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

There have been two, distinct hybrids:

1) Honda Insight
2) Toyota Prius

One is no longer sold and the other seems to be doing pretty good. The 'wolf in sheeps clothing' hybrids are selling although perhaps not with the numbers of the Prius. It begs the question of whether Toyota sold a gas-only Prius, would Prius hybrid sales fall off?

In our case, we had a choice in 2001 between a Prius and an Echo, the Echo won. In 2005, the choice was between a Scion and used Prius, the used Prius won. Requirements drove both choices and I find it hard to believe we're the only ones who make purchase decisions based upon our requirements.

So if the hybrid skeptics want to claim hybrids are 'style', fine, since when has a verbal bully ever gotten a clue? The right answer is to 'embrace' style with the hard savings and requirements met by our rides. Tell them you like the style of 'cash in my pocket' or 'no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning'. Embrace the style of 'we've got money and keep it and you don't.' Enjoy the style of our 'quiet, smooth cars, a quality ride.'

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Honda To Challenge Prius With a Dedicated Hybrid Model

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands