Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Hybrid motorcycle too quiet for its own good

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Site Founder
Default Hybrid motorcycle too quiet for its own good

Makers Intelligent Energy of Britain contracted with Seymourpowell to design a zero-emission hybrid bike, and design they did. Only trouble is, the bike is quiet. Too quiet — the Emissions Neutral Vehicle produces an amount of noise equivalent to that of a PC fan belt, which clearly won’t cut the Harley mustard, besides being potentially deadly to pedestrians. The designers are now looking into ways to introduce some artificial vroom into the bike, which has no gears and can reach tops speeds of about 50 miles per hour. The motorcycle is powered by a hydrogen fuel cell the size of a briefcase, and needs refueling about every 100 miles — which had better be round trip, as there’s currently only one station in all of Britain that supplies it.
- http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000563036366/

Old 03-18-2005, 04:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just to make clear, this is a fuel cell/battery hybrid. Is that included in GreenHybrid's definition of "Hybrid"?

It is an important aspect though. I live in an area crowded with children, and when running on batteries, no one hears me coming. Have to be extra careful.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Site Founder

Well, I don't think we should limit ourselves strictly to gasoline-electric vehicles. Perhaps I should change the page titles Technically, gas-electric vehicles are the stepping stone from ICE to fuel cell.