Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Mercedes-Benz Concept Cars "Direct Hybrid" and "BlueTec Hybrid" Look to the Future

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Site Founder
Default Mercedes-Benz Concept Cars "Direct Hybrid" and "BlueTec Hybrid" Look to the Future

At the International Motor Show (IAA) 2005 in Frankfurt, Mercedes-Benz will be unveiling the "DIRECT HYBRID" and the "BLUETEC HYBRID," two groundbreaking concept cars. Using the new S- Class as an example, the company is exhibiting unique designs for yet again markedly improving fuel consumption and emissions in the near future - while preserving high dynamic ride comfort. The focus is on combining optimised petrol and diesel engines with a hybrid system and with ultra-modern exhaust gas purification.
http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/050913/merc...brid.html?.v=1

Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Default Re: Mercedes-Benz Concept Cars "Direct Hybrid" and "BlueTec Hybrid" Look to the Future

These are both performance hybrids, by the way, not economy hybrids. The most fuel-efficient one, the diesel hybrid, gets only 30 mpg, which is worse than most regular diesel cars. But it accelerates from 0-60 in 7 seconds apparently. So it's in the same class as the Accord Hybrid.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercedes-Benz Concept Cars "Direct Hybrid" and "BlueTec Hybrid" Look to the Future

I wouldn't expect Mercedes-Benz to make anything BUT performance hybrids, it's just not their style to put out something small, light, fuel efficient... It's better than nothing and will add the to the total hybrid experience and technology, but they probably won't sell (or try to sell) very many.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:58 PM

Well I don't view hybrids as a niche technology; they can benefit all cars with no drawbacks except a higher initial cost. It would seem foolish to me for MB to limit the use of the technology, at least in the long term. I think that's why so many car companies are suddenly announcing plans for upcoming hybrids... pure electrics have many disadvantages, as do alternative-fuel cars, but hybrids have none. A minimal cheap hybrid can at least recapture energy from braking to sometimes aid acceleration, and allow the engine to turn off when the car is stopped or barely moving.