Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Nissan unveils Qashqai mini-offroader for Europe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Site Founder
Default Nissan unveils Qashqai mini-offroader for Europe

Nissan Motor Company has unveiled the new Qashqai, a hybrid offroad compact car aimed primarily at the European market where the Japanese company is hoping to sell 100,000 units a year…

The Qashqai, named after an Iranian nomadic desert tribe, will be manufactured at Nissan's factory in Sunderland in northern England and is due to go on the market next February. Its upper part looks like a sporty hatchback, while the lower part is like a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060906...n_060906152834

Old 09-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Nissan unveils Qashqai mini-offroader for Europe

Is it really a hybrid electric or a hybrid combination of a sports car top and offroad drive system?

We usually discuss 'hybrid-electric' but I didn't see any mention of electric or hydraulic or other non-gas power system. No mention of regenerative braking or EV mode. What really raise my eyebrows was:

"We hope Qashqai will sell on average 100,000 units a year on average across Europe, with 80 percent of these customers buying a Nissan for the first time," said Nissan's chief executive Carlos Ghosn.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/06092006/325...underland.html
Originally Posted by Reuters
. . .
The Qashqai is described as a crossover as it combines attributes of a classic passenger car with those of a 4x4.
Originally Posted by Reuters

The top half of Qashqai has a sleek dynamic form with a distinctive shoulder line which rises at the rear - a design cue similar to that of the Nissan Murano.

The lower portion resembles a SUV due to large, pronounced wheel arches and a slightly elevated ground clearance.
. . .
I really think this is a 'stylistic' hybrid and not the type of hybrid we usually discuss. But I could be wrong.

Bob Wilson

Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nissan unveils Qashqai mini-offroader for Europe

It doesn't appear to be an electric hybrid:
The 169.3-inch long and 70.1-inch tall crossover will come with four engine options, two gasoline and two diesel, all of which are four-cylinder units.
(This is from Edmunds: Nissan Qashqai Crossover Vehicle Looks for a Niche in Europe.)