Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Prediction: Every Car Will Be Hybrid in 2020

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Site Founder
Default Prediction: Every Car Will Be Hybrid in 2020

Toyota, the world's largest automaker, knows a thing or two about predicting the future of the automotive industry. They invested in hybrid technology at a time when gas cost just over $1 a gallon and America's Big Three were focused only on high-profit SUVS. The Japanese automaker was prepared with a fleet of attractive and functional small cars when gas hit $4, and has weathered a difficult 2008 far better than most of its competition. So how is Toyota preparing for the future?

By building hybrid powertrains for its entire lineup.

The Wall Street Journal reports, "Toyota Motor Co. announced Friday that it would make hybrid-engine systems available on all of its models by 2020."
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ybrid-in-2020/

Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Prediction: Every Car Will Be Hybrid in 2020

But if HR 5734 passes, each will have an additional, noise generator to jack up the price with no improvement in safety. But then with gas at $10-20/gal., it won't matter.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Engineering Professor

But how many of them will be high MPG hybrids, not performance hybrids? There are only two in the present Toyota line up, and no AWD high MPG ones.

JeffD

Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

makes sense to me.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jeff makes a good point- it's one thing to make sure you have a broad range of vehicle types represented in the company fleet of hybrid models, but it's quite another to learn the wrong lesson from the popularity of hybrid cars. They aren't popular just because they say the word 'hybrid' on a label on the rear of the vehicle. Hybrids are popular now, and will consistently remain popular for the foreseeable future, because they SAVE GAS. Car companies would do well to remember this, and focus their efforts on finding ways to make different types of cars both attractive AND very efficient.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Green Missionary

I don't think that the headline is in accord with the article. The headline says that all cars will be hybrids by 2020. The article says that Toyota will have hybrid powertrains available for all its models. It is not clear that all Toyota's will be hybrids.

And what about the other automobile manufacturers? They will likely have hybrid and other alternative options and perhaps even a few all hybrid or alternative models, but 100% hybrids? I don't think so.

I also suspect that the hybrids of today (Honda, Toyota/Ford, GM, etc.) are only the early stages of design. In just a few short years, they will be seen as antiquated as we see the Model T.

Last edited by John M. Dwyer; 08-28-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Better phrasing of last sentence.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Energy Independence!

I agree with you.
There will be several high efficiency powertrains available, of which hybrids will play a very significant role. But this does not mean what the thread title implies, that EVERY car will be hybrid. Rather EVERY car WILL ALSO be available as a hybrid.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast

I am totally agree with this statement. Because fuel is big question today, fuel prices increase day by day. So, most of automotive industries made a such vehicle which afforded consumer financially. In future, more demanded hybrid vehicle.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hopefully it'll happen in 2020. Hybrid role nowadays becomes more important because it saves gas and good for the environment. But we also have to say that the price of hybrid is much greater than the conventional car we have. Although, I must say that this one rocks. I hope car companies will find a way to make this one affordable without sacrificing the quality of it. With the happening nowadays that oil companies always find a way to raise the price of their oil/gas then hybrid will definitely the answer for us.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The definition of a hybrid would have to change to include the new start/stop ice systems in order for hybrids to be a significant mix by 2020. Don't bet the farm on battery production.