Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Price Set for 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid SUV

Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Site Founder
Default Price Set for 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid SUV

The 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line carries the lowest starting price of any hybrid SUV in the U.S. market, according to an Associated Press story. Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, of $22,995 for a Vue Green Line is some $4,500 less than the MSRP, including destination charge, of $27,515 for the previous lowest-priced gas-electric hybrid SUV in the United States — the five-passenger, 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. It's also some $3,200 less than the lower, $26,240 starting price for the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid, which Ford has already announced, the story said.
http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyaut...ybrid-suv.html

Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Price Set for 2007 Saturn Vue Green Line Hybrid SUV

I just hope it does not turn out to be the Chevette of hybrids . . . an experience so bad that the BAS is seen as what hybrids do. Like the Silverado before it, I fear the hybrid claims will far out weight the hybrid performance and a number of buyers will be burned on the experience. What happened in our case with the Chevette was my wife won't have another GM product, ever. She didn't blame the small car but rather the car maker.

The risk for GM is that a bad experience with the Saturn BAS hybrid could lead tarnish their 2-stage hybrid. It is hard to sell something new when you have to admit, "Unlike our Saturn Vue and the Silverado hybrids, this is the 'real thing.'" The better business plan has long range goal of repeat customers.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I didn't think GM "overbilled" the Silverado hybrid. They made no bones about the vehicle being a start/stop system combined with a mobile generator for power tools. I don't call it a piece of junk. It's just not what *I* need a hybrid for.

From what I've read, BAS is a legitimate, entry-level mild-hybrid system. It's not as powerful as an IMA, but it's not as expensive either. The key to the success of BAS is whether the system is RELIABLE.

Unfortunately, GM is no stranger to quality control problems. Consumer Reports said it best: a 3-year-old GM has the same reliability as a 7-year-old Honda and an 8-year-old Toyota.

But, to be optimistic, the Saturn VUE could collectively save a lot of gasoline if sold in mass quantities. At the stated price point, it's affordable for a lot of buyers. If GM gets a big installed base of BAS users, they will be less likely to be skeptical/hesitant when more advanced technologies become available.

It all boils down to whether GM builds this SUV and the related hybrid system with longevity in mind. If it's dead by 70,000 miles like most other GM hulks, there will be hell to pay!

Last edited by AshenGrey; 07-17-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I didn't think GM "overbilled" the Silverado hybrid. They made no bones about the vehicle being a start/stop system combined with a mobile generator for power tools. I don't call it a piece of junk. It's just not what *I* need a hybrid for.

From what I've read, BAS is a legitimate, entry-level mild-hybrid system. . . .
I think I'll wait until they hit the show room floors since making judgement calls from the literature is not wise. We'll see if it has capabilities beyond "start/stop."

My real concern is if the BAS turns sour, like the Chevette did for GM small cars, it will be used by some to say, "See what pieces of <debre> hybrids are!" This will unfairly burden the GM 2-stage hybrid. That doesn't mean I'm convenced the GM 2-stage hybrid is perfection, we don't know much about it, but rather the GM system deserves a fair crack at the market, not burdened by the Silverado reputation.

Bob Wilson