Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Replacement Parts for the Mercedes Benz S Class Hybrid Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Site Founder
Default Replacement Parts for the Mercedes Benz S Class Hybrid Sedan

I must admit, I'm a little confused. I don't see any official Mercedes-Benz releases. What's this all about?
Combining a V8 diesel engine with the latest generation of hybrid drive systems developed jointly by DaimlerChrysler and General Motors, Mercedes Benz introduces the S Class Hybrid, which unlike many conventional hybrids, the system dispenses with a torque converter; this is replaced by the hybrid-specific components.

i-Newswire, 2005-05-06 - The combination of electric drive with the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission ensures that the S-Class "Hybrid" constantly operates at the optimum level. "This reduces fuel consumption by 15 to 25 percent depending on the driving cycle, while at the same time enhancing comfort," says Prof. Herbert Kohler, Head of the Vehicle Body and Drive Systems Directorate at DaimlerChrysler AG.

Combining a V8 diesel engine with the latest generation of hybrid drive systems developed jointly by DaimlerChrysler and General Motors, Mercedes Benz introduces the S Class Hybrid, which unlike many conventional hybrids, the system dispenses with a torque converter; this is replaced by the hybrid-specific components. The hybrid concept is based on the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission in combination with the P1/2 hybrid transmission, which thanks to its compact dimensions does not restrict interior space.
"The use of the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission makes for a comfort level that is unique in the world of hybrids," emphasized Weber. "Shifting is even faster and more convenient in continuously variable mode."

Setting a new record for cars with hybrid drive system, the S Class has a maximum output of 340 horsepower. The two electric motors have a combined output of 70 horsepower. The diesel can be started at any time without transition, independently of driving mode. The V8 diesel engine recharges the battery while the vehicle is in motion while energy is recovered during braking. The hybrid concept is based on the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission in combination with the P1/2 hybrid transmission, which thanks to its compact dimensions does not restrict interior space. The system dispenses with a torque converter; this is replaced by the hybrid-specific components.
http://i-newswire.com/pr19136.html

Old 05-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacement Parts for the Mercedes Benz S Class Hybrid Sedan

this is a few pics of the car

http://www.united-pictures.com/event...ent=83&lang=en

Old 05-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacement Parts for the Mercedes Benz S Class Hybrid Sedan

Any hints what the hybrid premium will be, in return for 15 - 20% improved gas efficiency ?