Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

S-class hybrids – luxury goes green

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Site Founder
Default S-class hybrids – luxury goes green

Mercedes-Benz is testing two hybrid concept cars based on the S-class chassis that combine an optimised petrol or diesel engine with a hybrid system and the latest exhaust purification...

The main emphasis for the "Direct Hybrid" petrol-engined car is on reducing fuel consumption. Its 3.5-litre V6 has second-generation, spray-guided, direct fuel-injection that, Merc says, considerably reduced fuel burn.
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3047965

Old 01-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: S-class hybrids – luxury goes green

Hmmm - I hope that's one HUGE hybrid system to be constantly re-starting a diesel like that. Or they've made such improvements to the diesel engine that you no longer need a locomotive battery to start the car.

It'll be an even better idea when we start using the "cleaner" diesel fuels here in the US that are use everywhere else. Unfortunately, tho, there's the problem of what to do with all the diesel vehicles on the road now that might not run as well (if at all) with that fuel. It's not as simple a switch as when we went to all-unleaded in 1975, and having someone swap out their car isn't quite the same scale of economy as upgrading their computer or cell fone )

VW has delayed introducing the 06Passat Diesel into the US market because of the retrofitting involved in making the engine work on our fuels. I think they were waiting to bring it in with the 06 wagon, so they can swap up all the engines at one time.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Enthusiast

Having owned an S-Class Mercedes in the past, not one of the lower more pedestrian Mercedes models, I can say that I have NEVER driven a better car ever. My 560SEC left nothing to chance with nothing but the finest leather and some of the finest woodwork. Copius amounts of horsepower and even a seat belt extender to bring the seatbelt around to you when you sit down. After all you wouldn't want to wrinkle your suit having to reach around for your seat belt would you? It had a switch to change the volume and tone of the horn for city or country use. And although the seemingly bogus horsepower rating was 235BHP @ 2800 rpm it could pass a Trans Am like it was sitting still. This car just didn't have seat heaters it had multiple levels or heat for the bottom and the back of the seats. And at 135 MPH it had fewer rattles that most Cadillacs have at 65 MPH.

Ok, what does this have to do with hybrids??? Simply put, the S-class Mercedes is marketed to people who expect absolutely no compromises whatsoever. This is one of the most reliable, powerful, luxurious cost-is-no-object vehicles built. Did I mention it got about 12 MPG on premium and needed about 9.75 quarts of oil for an oil change. My last service on this vehicle cost about 500 hundred dollars and nothing was broke on it!

If a hybrid drivetrain is worthy of being put into an S-class Mercedes it is worthy of being put into anything. I see this as complete and total proof that the hybrid drivetrain has arrived.

BTW, just so nobody thinks I am a snob, I did buy this vehicle used.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by jmerrow
BTW, just so nobody thinks I am a snob, I did buy this vehicle used.
I'm assuming that was a "pre-Chrysler" Mercedes. I'm afraid the whole line has turned into a big plastic line of land yachts with service and reliability ratings getting beaten by American-built Hyundais. There were some real DOGS along the years, too (I owned one - a particular year that had all kinds of electrical gremlins) and dark spots (like the 350SD - RUN away!) Just goes to show that even a "great" marque can have its problems too. Big ones