Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Stanford students make silent cars noisy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Site Founder
Default Stanford students make silent cars noisy

Haha…I read the last comment on this page and noticed it was by our very own Bob Wilson.
When a Toyota Prius or other hybrid car are running on their electric motors, they are all but silent and can sneak up on people in parking lots. The silent cars are also difficult for blind people to detect.

Two Stanford University graduate students have addressed that problem by creating a small speaker system that can be installed in hybrid vehicles, making them more detectable.
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/s...ry.php?id=8211

Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Default Re: Stanford students make silent cars noisy

Posted by Fastmover on www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=8211

Technology available today allows for superior options that do not contrbute more noise to an already noisy environment. Small wireless transmitters using very low power coupled with small, inexpensive battery powered receivers installed in a cane or on a bluetooth or other portable receiver present far better options that not only accomodate the handicapped, but also serve to lower our already overpowered background noise environment.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by Fred S
Like having noise is going to make a kid aware??? Kids would jump in the road weather it is a moped, or a CASE loader running at WOT cranking out 120 dB. The driver is 100% at fault 100% of the time when involving pedestrians, so it is the drivers responsibility to ensure that they do not hit a pedestrian. It is not difficult... You have eyes which can be used for this task.
I disagree. How is a driver supposed to see a child running out between two vehicles or an adult from between to SUVs? You can not lay all responsibility on the driver. You could be driving 35mph in a 35mph zone and be 10 feet from the point where 2 parked vehicles meet and an adult of child comes darting out, there is no way possible to stop in time. This happens quite often. Who is to fault then? Surely not the driver. There are exception to everything.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Fred,

Could you copy and paste a link to this law you are quoting?

Thanks!

08feh

Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Good luck convincing a judge that you're not at fault for injuring a pedestrian... You must have misinterpreted my statement. I was not stating my "opinion" I was stating LAW. Driver vs. pedestrian, driver 100% at fault 100% of the time. If you are driving so fast (even 35 in a 35) that you could not stop or are not aware enough for a person to pop out of between 2 parked cars, you should slow down or surrender your license.

THERE IS NO EXCEPTION, GOOD LUCK IN COURT!!
You sound like you have a guilty conscience btw...
I disagree with your post that says you are "stating law" and "driver vs. pedestrian, driver 100% at fault 100% of the time".

I am wondering if you can post some information to back up either statement?

08FEH

Last edited by 08FEH; 06-21-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM

"edited"

Last edited by 08FEH; 06-21-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Engineering first

As a suggestion, you' all might start by looking at pedestrian accidents and seeing the pattern. It turns out a significant number do not occur at crosswalks. Also, a significant number of pedestrians are self-medicated ... but as a moderator I need to remind folks about our posting practices.

We can agree to disagree as long as we treat each other with respect. Please don't project personal attributes on to someone who disagrees with you. A caution, review your own posts and consider editing out the personal references directed at others.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Pragmatist

... I was not stating my "opinion" I was stating LAW. Driver vs. pedestrian, driver 100% at fault 100% of the time. ...
Actually, that is not true. In Florida, at least, the law really is very clear: If the pedestrian is jay-walking, the pedestrian is at fault. On streets that have marked cross-walks, pedestrians are allowed to cross only in the marked cross-walks. On other streets, pedestrians are allowed to cross only at intersections.

On a sidewalk, or in a parking lot, the pedestrian does have the right of way. On a street, the pedestrian has the right-of-way only when he/she is crossing the road in a marked cross-walk, or at an unmarked intersection.

Of course, we all prefer to avoid hitting pedestrians. It damages the sheet metal and gets blood all over the place. ;-) And, we all especially watch out for kids. But in a collision on a road between a car and a pedestrian, it is usually because the pedestrian was jay-walking. And, it is usually the pedestrians fault.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:07 AM

Bob,

Did you almost type "y'all" there????