Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Study: Up-Front Hybrid-Vehicle Costs Balance Out After Three Years

Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Site Founder
Default Study: Up-Front Hybrid-Vehicle Costs Balance Out After Three Years

Some hybrid cars will pay for the premium added to their sticker prices because of high gas prices and tax credits granted by the U.S. government to owners of the more fuel-efficient vehicles, a study released on Tuesday shows. Hybrid cars and trucks, which get improved mileage in city driving by running on a combination of gas and electric power, cost between $1,200 and $7,000 more than traditional versions of the same vehicles, according to auto website Edmunds.com.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210038,00.html

Old 08-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Study: Up-Front Hybrid-Vehicle Costs Balance Out After Three Years

I did 90k miles on my HCH in just three years (it's now at about 102k). I'll bet I made my money back on the hybrid premium! It's been 10 times as reliable as the Pontiacs.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Study: Up-Front Hybrid-Vehicle Costs Balance Out After Three Years

Every article I read bashs hybris by saying it takes X number of years to recoup the cost of buying one over the normal version of that car. Most fail to mention or include the tax break in the equation or they compare it to the wrong kind of car. I have a Hybrid Camry and they always compare it to the LE when it comes to the premium Hybrid cost. It is not like an LE it is like an XLE. It is nice to see an article that does not do this.