Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Third automaker may join GM, DCX hybrid development effort

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Site Founder
Default Third automaker may join GM, DCX hybrid development effort

By year end, a third automaker may join the DaimlerChrysler AG and General Motors partnership developing hybrid technology.

"There are discussions under way. They are very lively and very serious," Dieter Zetsche, Chrysler group CEO, said last week after a speech here. "I would not be surprised if within this year we would come up with an additional" partner.

Zetsche would not specify the automaker.

Several auto companies have expressed interest in joining the hybrid development venture, Zetsche said in a speech to the Detroit Economic Club.

"We've structured the program to allow for additional automotive partners," he said.
- http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102017

My question is: why would they want more partners unless they are unable to compete with the Japanese automakers with their current plan?