Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota Attributes Prius Shutdowns to Software Glitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Site Founder
Default Prius hybrids dogged by software

A software problem is causing some Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid cars to stall or shut down while driving at highway speeds, according to a published report.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the problem involves Priuses from the 2004 model year and some early 2005 models.

The newspaper reports the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has logged 13 reports of the engine shutdowns, while Edmunds.com, a popular vehicle-information and shopping site, has had 13 individuals post complaints in a Prius forum. Some of the cars that shut down had to be towed to the shop before they could be restarted.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/Autos/prius_computer/

Last edited by Jason; 05-16-2005 at 12:37 PM. Reason: No subscription
Old 05-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Attributes Prius Shutdowns to Software Glitch

I think this is getting way too much air time. 13 cars out of thousands being made and all this media hype about it and then ditzy reporters/anchors making non-sense comments after viewing the clip. Whatever happened to SUV rollovers.... was that problem really fixed or do we just not hear about it anymore? I saw this on CNN and I just laughed... another reason to add why NOT to by a hybrid - whatever every hybrid owner I have met has never had a problem with their hybrid (Insight, Prius, HCH) and that is what I tell people I meet who have questions about hybrids to base their opinions on not from talking heads that are mouth pieces for corporate giants that have their hands tied in high oil consumption (GE etc).

Old 05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Attributes Prius Shutdowns to Software Glitch

You only get to see SUV rollovers if you are an emergency worker! -- They wouldn't want that to kill any SUV sales, shucks, they'd sell less gasoline!