Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota FT-HS hybrid sports car

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Site Founder
Default Toyota FT-HS hybrid sports car

Toyota is set to unveil its FT-HS hybrid sports coupe at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The car combines sporty design with a hybrid engine, and constitutes Toyota’s vision of a responsible yet stylish sports car. Built in answer to the question “What is a suitable sports car for the 21st century?” Toyota believes it has the answer.
The car is designed to appeal to an emerging customer demographic that considers economy and environmental responsibility to be as important as looks and performance.
The car features a sleek, aerodynamic and lightweight design with a V6 3.5-litre 400 bhp engine connected to rear-wheel drive and will clear 0–62 in around 4 seconds.
http://www.askaprice.com/torque-arti..._car&item=2524

Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota FT-HS hybrid sports car

Interesting they don't mention an MPG number... but 3.5L is one massive engine to put in a hybrid, especially Toyota style.

To be honest I'd expect you'd want a Honda-style hybrid for a sports car - releasing the brake getting the gas engine going. Launching the sports car on electric-only might not get you the performance you're looking for. But I guess I'd have to see how it drives.

If the car is as "lightweight" as they say, maybe that huge engine under normal driving conditions would just fill the battery up faster and give you more electric-only operation? Although as we've learned on the Prius, doing that roundtrip a lot might cut your MPG in half.

If Toyota actually sells this thing some day I'd love to test drive it.