Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota Prius just keeps on going

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Site Founder
Default Toyota Prius just keeps on going

Nowadays, most car models get a major redesign about every 4 or 5 years. By that time, sales have started to slow as competitors have introduced fancier, better cars in the auto industry's endless cycle of one-upsmanship.In that respect, the Toyota Prius is entering its golden years and should be ready for retirement soon. Rumors are even circulating about a possible replacement.

But there's something different about the Prius. Even now, the Prius is selling at a pace any car company would call hugely successful. Of all hybrid vehicles sold in America so far this year, more than half were Priuses and, thanks to increased production, Prius sales this year are up 76 percent so far this year.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/24/auto...ion=2007092514

Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Toyota Prius just keeps on going

The market out shouts CAFE standards!!!

If the October sales numbers don't even hick up with the Federal tax credit going away, the buzz from the show room floors will finally become deafening.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Toyota Prius just keeps on going

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
The market out shouts CAFE standards!!!

If the October sales numbers don't even hick up with the Federal tax credit going away, the buzz from the show room floors will finally become deafening.

Bob Wilson
I hope so, Bob! We really need to FORCE the automakers more into the real-world.
Toyota is even fighting upping the CAFE standards in the US, all the while, the standards in Japan are likely higher today than the new proposed CAFE standards. Why? One reason is to keep the US automakers in the dark ages and staying one or three steps behind the Japanese. The Japanese now have figured out the US market, both the efficient small car (that was a no-brainer for them) and the larger, more luxurious car, truck and SUV market. And the profit margins can be much higher on this upper-end market. They want (and can have) it all.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Toyota Prius just keeps on going

For good reason, it's a great vehicle. I've never been happier with a car that I've owned.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

It is the best car I've ever owned too. I drive it all day. I am self-employed and drive for a living. So far, 168,000 miles. 1 12 volt battery, 1 serpentine belt, 1 water pump, and 1 set of plugs. Still on the original brakes. I'm in and out of the car around 30 times a day. The keyless entry is priceless and the nav. system is essential. All the storage nooks are great for my "office supplies". It is like the car was designed for what I do.

I have kept a record of every mile driven and every gallon of gas I have used in both my '03 and my '04. I will soon start posting them as soon as I figure out a way to do it without having to enter the trip length and weather conditions for every one of my 400+ tanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Toyota Prius just keeps on going

Originally Posted by CARBOT
It is the best car I've ever owned too. I drive it all day. I am self-employed and drive for a living. So far, 168,000 miles. 1 12 volt battery, 1 serpentine belt, 1 water pump, and 1 set of plugs. Still on the original brakes. I'm in and out of the car around 30 times a day. The keyless entry is priceless and the nav. system is essential. All the storage nooks are great for my "office supplies". It is like the car was designed for what I do.

I have kept a record of every mile driven and every gallon of gas I have used in both my '03 and my '04. I will soon start posting them as soon as I figure out a way to do it without having to enter the trip length and weather conditions for every one of my 400+ tanks.
I wonder if the 'sysadmins' might be able to take a comma or tab delimited text file and load it for you?

Certainly worth asking.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by CARBOT
You can do what I do. Just periodically use "edit my car" and modify your total miles and computed average MPG (separately for each car).

JeffD