Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

06/09/07 - Houston Prius EV + EBH install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default 06/09/07 - Houston Prius EV + EBH install

On Saturday June 9th I will attempt a Factory EV install and Engine Block Heater install. If anyone has wanted to see one of these procedures, next weekend might be your chance.

I can't guarantee success, but we (my neighbor and I) will give it a shot. I've done some recon on this today and was able to pull the ECU plug and also found the spot for the block heater. I've got the wire taps and assuming I can fit the ECU pin in and fish it the wire across the dash, I should be in good shape.

The block heater is a Toyota of Canada model and the EV is the Japanese Factory model.

Just email, pm, or post to this thread if you want to assist in the surgery.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: 06/09/07 - Houston Prius EV + EBH install

Wow. That would've been fun to watch the surgery! I just now saw this post, and am super-busy these days, and especially the next 2 weekends.

Any links to the EV you bought, though?

DO let us know how it goes. Pictures would be super-cool Especially of the EV install.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

OK... First the good news... EBH works and OEM EV works. .

Now for the bad news.

1) First stab at EV button wired it exactly, and perfectly backwards . Surprisingly, to me at least, backwards still works. Only problem is you won't get LED. Well I didn't like a ground reversal hard wired to my ECU so out with the wire clips, mosquito spray and camping lamp. Now everything works great.

2) Didn't quite get the suggestions on the EBH install right and tried to install it with the rod plugged into the cord. Well with that extra inch of coupling, the block heater won't fit. So after a quick call to FireEngineer I was informed of my error, and got it installed, then plugged in. Problem was the thermal guew went on, then off then back on since I had to re-approach the install path twice. Don't know how much effect it will have. It does work, just don't know if it could be working better.

3) To fish the cord to the grill, I took off some underplaying. In the process I stripped a nut There was a small rock that had fallen right at the thread entrance, and while I took the nut out, the rock scored the threads. So now nut 2 from the left headlight is replaced with one bright yellow tie cord.

Tests:
EV - Start the car, hit the switch and you get the popdown on the MFD "Cannot switch to EV" cuz I'm in stage one. So it works. LED now works too

EBH - It was about 90 ºF (32 ºC) outside when I plugged in the EBH and left it in for 60 minutes. The water temp (via SGII) gradually went up from 107 ºF (42 ºC) to 135 ºF (57 ºC). So about half a degree per minute.

Questions:
Is anyone running the EBH in the summer? Do you have any data to share as far as what type of measured heat exchange your seeing. If mine is low, I could consider re-installing it, but it's not something I'll do on a whim.

Special thanks to FireEngineer, mparrish, and my neighbor for providing the much needed assistance.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Energy Independence

Cool, Dan!

Glad you got it all working.