Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

April 12 - Plano Live Green - Hybrid Meet

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default April 12 - Plano Live Green - Hybrid Meet

This Saturday from 9am to 5pm, Plano Convention Center will stage a Texas-sized Live Green Plano (Google map/directions). CleanMPG is an exhibitor with an outdoor booth. In attendance will be Wayne Gerdes (xcel), Rani (tarabell), and Chuck (Delta Flyer). We are hoping North Texas hypermilers and hybrid drivers will join us as Wayne gives a clinic, have an opportunity to test drive hybrids, see over 100 various exhibitors. Last year at least 3000 came - parking will probably be full by 9:30! This is a story on the big turnout last year.

Admission is free!

A few pictures from last year...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion
Default Re: April 12 - Plano Live Green - Hybrid Meet

Man... Wish I could make it but I'm already booked.

I'll attest from being there last year (they guy with the backpack) that it's a real hoot.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Energy Independence

I made the massive 8-mile trek up to Plano late this afternoon. Admission was indeed free, and the place was packed! Lots of buzz. This is a good sign.

The event had a LOT more going on than I thought it would. Very impressive little gathering.
I met Wayne, Chuck, Rani, and John (John73, I think - from Dallas). Everyone was very kind and friendly. It truly was nice to meet you all.
The event had plenty of 30-45 minute seminars on various Green-related topics. I attended one on Radiant Barriers (for the home roof). There were tons more that I would have been interested in, that I was too late for.
I got to test-drive (using the term VERY loosely - the "loop" was about a 20 second jaunt in a parking lot) a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. This appears to be one sweet little SUV. Interior is nicer than I remember the older style (like my Tribute is) being. This Ford did not have leather, but still looked impressively luxurious. If I ever trade in the Tribute...
There were several Smart cars to drive around this little loop, and a Toyota Camry Hybrid, Prius, and Highlander Hybrid as well. A Saturn Vue and a Saturn Aura, several electric conversions to peak at (including an all-electric old Pontiac Fiero!), and a couple pure electric (by design) tiny NRG? commuter cars.
Lots of exhibitor booths inside, all having some angle or another on "being more green."
Saw solar and windmill displays. All in all a great little venue. I'll be back next year.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yay, finally got to meet you Gumby! One thing they changed up this year compared to last are the 45 minute presentations were held inside instead of in tents outside, which made them somewhat more inaccessible. Flip side is you get a quieter environment with better AV equipment.

They probably also had more sponsers this year, they were raffling out compost, an energy efficient washer/dryer set, a kayak from REI, among other stuff. I attended one of the keynote speakers (Erik Larsen, the first guy that made it to the north pole during the summer) and they had a mini-raffle just for those in attendance for that session (more compost, earth friendly bath scents?, and a solar powered cell phone charger that would've been really nice but someone's daughter won that one).

You also missed out on a great clinic Wayne gave on Sunday. He was able to coach me into getting over 90mpg in my HCHII in a loop from 16th to Spring Creek along the feeder roads of 75. Yeah we did tick off a few people on the road but seeing what can be done has gotten me thinking about where I can use FAS in my routine.