Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Events & Gatherings (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/events-gatherings-16/)
-   -   CincyMPG presents the first annual MPGfest--Mark your calendars, October 12-13 (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/events-gatherings-16/cincympg-presents-first-annual-mpgfest-mark-your-calendars-october-12-13-a-19684/)

lamebums 09-02-2008 07:05 PM

CincyMPG presents the first annual MPGfest--Mark your calendars, October 12-13

Double your gas mileage, learn about hybrid vehicles, and so much more! - CincyMPG.com coming soon!

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...ylineSmall.JPG

CincyMPG, the new name for the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Hybrid and Hypermiler's Club, is proud to present the first ever annual MPGfest in the historic city of Fort Thomas, Kentucky, barely ten minutes away from downtown Cincinnati. This all-day event will be on Sunday, October 12th from 10 AM until dusk at the Tower Park in Pavilion #2. Food and soft drinks will be provided. Entry is free and open to the public. Our mission is to spread the word about fuel-saving techniques and to make the public more aware of the possibilities and ways to save money, reduce oil imports, and lower emissions, and most importantly to have a good time while doing it.

This will be followed up by a trip to Georgetown, Kentucky on Monday the 13th and there will be a tour of the Toyota plant where Camry hybrid vehicles are made. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the production process of such vehicles up close.

This will be a two day event.

Contact

For MPGfest: Jud ("bestmapman") at (859)-466-6886 or Auston ("lamebums") at (859)-630-1708 of CincyMPG, call with any questions.

For the Georgetown tour on Monday, contact Bob Wilson (bwilson4web). This requires a registration beforehand.

The Schedule

Day One

9:00 AM: Asking that anyone directly involved in MPGfest show up early to help with set-up.
10:00 AM: Registration and meet and greet. Also register for fuel economy challenge in the afternoon.
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: "Meet A Fuel Economist". Currently a VW Jetta TDI, a Prius and an Echo will be on display.
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM: Wayne Gerdes: "Hypermiling: Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in what you drive."
11:45 AM - 12:30 PM: Jay Groh will present the Hymotion PHEV mod to the Prius.

12:30 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch. We will grill burgers and dogs.

1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Driving clinics. These will coincide with the presentations.
Furthermore, Wayne Mitchell (FireEngineer) will do Prius EBH installations all day.

1:00 PM - 1:45 PM: Wayne Mitchell will do a Prius battery teardown.
1:45 PM - 2:30 PM: Brent Quebman: "Hypermiling Your Home Energy."
3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Fuel Economy Challenge. A five mile challenge on the streets of Fort Thomas, Kentucky. Specifics to be determined.
5:00 PM until whenever: Conclusion

Day Two

8:45 AM: The people in the Cincinnati area will caravan down to Georgetown.
10:00 AM - 10:30 AM: Arrive at Georgetown plant, meet and greet.
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM: Georgetown plant tour
12:30 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch

Depart to be determined

Directions to Tower Park: From I-471 in Northern Kentucky. Exit 2 Alexandria Pike go east. Travel East 3/4 mile to Grandview. Turn left on Grandview. This is an uphill street. At the top of Grandview turn left on Ft. Thomas Ave. Go four blocks. At the intersection of Hwy 445 River Rd turn right. The right turn is not onto Hwy 445 River Rd., but just past Hwy 445 River Rd. The road doesn't have a street sign, but it goes behind the VA Hospital that is just past River Rd. Take the road toward the back of the VA Hosp and take the first left to go behind the VA Hosp. The picnic shelter is next to the tennis courts and signs will be visible from the road.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...Picnic_map.jpg

I will update this post regularly as more information becomes available.

bwilson4web 09-07-2008 01:39 PM

Re: CincyMPG presents the first annual MPGfest--Mark your calendars, October 12-13

Hi folks,

I'm organizing a tour of the Toyota Georgetown KY plant for Columbus Day, Monday, 10:00 AM, Oct. 13, 2008. It takes about two hours. I'll reserve 20 seats but plant security requires:
name(s)
home addresses
phone numbers
e-mail address(es) (for updates and confirmation)
Send me a PM or e-mail and I'll add you to the assembled list. The current roster, number and names:
  • 2 - Bob Wilson
  • 2 - Hinsons
  • 4 - Browing, Teresa, Richard, and Judith Mitchell
  • 2 - Kenneth and Alecia Myers
  • 3 - Eugene, Nancy, and Jennifer Robinson
  • 1 - Kacey Green
  • 2 - Pat Douglas and Jenn Rasmussen
  • 2 - Jerry and Denise Jorgeson
  • 2 - Steve and Kim Selegue

Toyota makes the hybrid Camry at the Georgetown KY. This two hour tour shows how Toyota converts sheets of metal to fully functional hybrid Camrys, Camrys, and Avelons. It is an engineering master piece and a chance to see Toyota quality in practice where it counts . . . on the factory floor. To the best of my knowledge, this is the ONLY hybrid factory in North America that has an open house or tours for the public. The first tour group:
http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/pri_tour_01.jpg
photo by Mike Triebsch

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

lamebums 09-07-2008 03:56 PM

Re: CincyMPG presents the first annual MPGfest--Mark your calendars, October 12-13

Update:

I am going to contact the ECOS (Environmentally Concerned Organization of Students) over at NKU. Their membership is ~45 and from the description I was given would be pretty enthusiastic about a hybrid car show and the possibilities in reducing emissions and oil imports.

Jason 09-08-2008 09:12 PM

What is CincyMPG? What is their website?

lamebums 09-08-2008 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 186593)
What is CincyMPG? What is their website?

Hi Jason--

CincyMPG is the new name for the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Hybrid/Hypermiler's club which began meeting in April. We've had a meet roughly once every four to six weeks since. It usually consists of a day at the park grilling burgers and dogs, along with some general socializing. Sometimes we'll have a presentation (the most recent being Wayne with the Prius battery tear down). Then in the afternoon we'll have a fuel economy challenge.

CincyMPG.com has already been reserved and we're working on getting a website built.

Here's the writeup for the July 5th meet, which is the biggest success we've had so far: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13286

We have a meet set for the 20th but this is primarily a planning session for MPGfest.

bwilson4web 09-17-2008 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 186469)
Hi folks,

I'm organizing a tour of the Toyota Georgetown KY plant for Columbus Day, Monday, 10:00 AM, Oct. 13, 2008. It takes about two hours. I'll reserve 20 seats but plant security requires:
name(s)
home addresses
phone numbers
Send me a PM or e-mail and I'll add you to the assembled list. The current roster, number and names:
  • 2 - Bob and Holly Wilson
  • 2 - Judson and Sonya Engles
  • 2 - Steve and Kim Selegue
  • 5 - open
. . .

Just a quick bump. I have seats and the first week of October I need to submit the final list.

Bob Wilson

lamebums 09-20-2008 06:49 PM

Hi all--

I have updated the writeup in accordance with what was agreed on at today's meet.

Most of the details for MPGfest on Sunday have been hammered out and set in stone.

Looking forward to see everyone in town then.

bwilson4web 10-02-2008 10:03 PM

Hi folks,

Last bump, the list goes to Toyota on Monday. Four seats left.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 186469)
Hi folks,

name(s)
home addresses
phone numbers
  • 2 - Bob and Holly Wilson
  • 2 - Judson and Sonya Engles
  • 1 - Kacey Green
  • 2 - Pat Douglas and Jenn Rasmussen
  • 4 - open
Toyota makes the hybrid Camry at the Georgetown KY. This two hour tour shows how Toyota converts sheets of metal to fully functional hybrid Camrys, Camrys, and Avelons. It is an engineering master piece and a chance to see Toyota quality in practice where it counts . . . on the factory floor. To the best of my knowledge, this is the ONLY hybrid factory in North America that has an open house or tours for the public. . . .

lamebums 10-04-2008 01:33 PM

We had a meeting today and got everything sorted out. We're planning for 50 people.

Also we had a Fuel Economy challenge. Took the Echo on I-275, an 18.7 mile round trip. http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Final Results-

Jud: 62.6
Auston: 68.9
Hadi: 64.4

Also here is the complete roster: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=55

kselegue 10-11-2008 06:05 AM

Bob,
I see our names, Steve and Kim Selegue, on the 9/17/08 list for the Toyota Factory Tour but not on the 10/2/08 list. Are we still on for the tour this Monday?
Kim