Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Dearborn Hybrid Event

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dearborn Hybrid Event

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi AndyTieDye:

___Most passenger tires you can purchase today have max sidewall of just 44 #’s. Is it safe to go > 44 #’s? How many hundreds of thousands or millions of miles of travel would you need to see before you consider 50 #’s safe? 44 - 50 #’s is for more advanced Hypermiler’s and probably not for you just yet. As mentioned earlier, burst pressures are in the 125 + # range in most cases and I have yet to hear of a blow out do to over inflation at just 50 #’s from Insighter’s with > 100,000 miles on their 30,000 mile rated Bridgestone RE92’s

___I have the Continental ContiTrak’s on the Ranger (not the Eco Plus’ ) They have been running 50 #’s for over 2 years now but again, this is my own preference. My use of such pressures does not condone others to follow my lead nor should it be a recommendation for you to do the same.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
Remember- every published spec has a bult-in safety factor in every field. It would be suicide to give out the real max/mins- too much inaccuracy in day-to-day life to be able to reliably stay on the right side of the limit. So everything gets well-padded.

44# max written on the walls means they will remain intact at 2x or 3x that. Going beyond 44# just implies that you're on your own.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Dearborn Hybrid Event: USA Today

[Please see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rive.4140.html]

Last edited by Jason; 10-14-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Green Missionary

In reading the previous posts and between the lines, I think it is clear that we all appreciated the Dearborn event. Let's make it explicit: Thanks to the Ford engineers, other Ford people, and the entire Ford organization for your interest and willingness to put your time and efforts into it.

I know it was beneficial to me and hope that the Ford Development Team was also satisfied with the result.

Hybrids in general and the FEH in particular may not be the car of the future, but they are gateways to the cars of the future. Our major task (customers and Ford alike) is to convince the general public of this.

The Event was good promotion and marketing, of course, but was so much more than just that. Thanks, Ford people.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dearborn Hybrid Event Article!

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Be on the look-out for an article in USA TODAY newspaper covering the Dearborn FEH event.

Reporters were taking names ( and photos ) of attendees Sunday for a possible story on Wednesday.

The Reporter was Sharon Carty so you can look for that byline... however I hope the headline is large enough to get your attention!

-John
Figures... I looked for it on the stand Wednesday & Thursday, but forgot today, so of course it's in today's paper!! But I guess Friday's edition of USA Today is the "Weekend" edition, so I'll try to pick up a copy tomorrow. Also available on the USA Today website.

Fred

Old 10-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Gonavy:
Originally Posted by gonavy
Remember- every published spec has a bult-in safety factor in every field. It would be suicide to give out the real max/mins- too much inaccuracy in day-to-day life to be able to reliably stay on the right side of the limit. So everything gets well-padded.

44# max written on the walls means they will remain intact at 2x or 3x that. Going beyond 44# just implies that you're on your own.
___There is nothing new here except for the millions of miles of Insight experience at 50 + #’s as seen over at IC … I am only in the initial hundreds of thousands of miles range myself

___And a few other questions I had but forgot to ask while there? Does anyone have a RR rating on the Eco Plus’ and is there somebody working to add lumbar support adjustments to the next gen Escape HEV? The RR of the tires is an obvious question. The Escape’s built in lumbar support although Ok for me, may be lacking for some and an adjustment lever would be just the trick!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net