Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

DFW hybrid gathering.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Banned
Default MapQuest Link

Use This MapQuest Link. You can zero in on the meeting place after clicking the link.

Those unfamiliar with the area:
  • Coming from the south, be sure to remain on I35E going thru downtown Dallas
  • Around four miles later, go to the left lanes to go on Hwy 183
  • As you approach Texas Stadium, go right to take Hwy 114
  • On Hwy 114/121 in Grapevine, take the Main St exit and go right
  • Go straight on Main past Hwy 26
  • Take a left on Main and Northwest Hwy
  • Not sure which side the Sonic is, but it's very close.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DFW hybrid gathering.

Post pics when the event is over and let us know how it went!

Old 10-27-2005, 02:45 PM

Hey there! Its not useless. It helps get people to go. Even if its only two or three people it should be fun.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

One last reminder, tomorrow is the day, see y'all at the Sonic in Grapevine starting at Noon.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, the meet is over. Unfortunately only one other person showed up, and they were from here. Thank you Deltaflyer for coming by. That's too bad that nobody else showed though, as it was a picture perfect day for the meet, and I was hoping to have the chance to take home a picture of several different hybrid cars congregated together into one place, as well as really talk cars and even generate some interest from passers by. Due to the fact that I've always had a difficult time getting stuff like this to come together, it'll be the last time I attempt such a meeting. I guess I simply don't have the knack at getting people fired up for a bit of fun. I got the chance to take Deltaflyers manual transmission Inisght for a spin, and enjoyed being able to maintain 125 mpg on his fuel economy dislplay with no effort. He also enjoyed taking my FEH for a drive, and got to get a sample of the stealth mode that we all enjoy so much out of our full hybrids.

I enjoyed spending the afternoon talking a little bit about everything, but in the future I'll just leave these gatherings up to those who are better able to get them going. Hopefully some of us will get to meet in the future at one of them. I have a few pictures of our vehicles parked together, and will get them posted later.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:24 PM

I wouldn't get discouraged. It takes a while to build a local community. Ask EricBecky about how he started the madisonhybridgroup.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributor ($)

Wolfman, dont give up! Just keep meeting whenever you feel like it and be sure to announce it to the world. You'll probably need to enlist the help of Prius owners to get the word out. The reality is they make up the majority of hybrid owners.

I'm not sure where you posted this time around, but next time you may want to post it a few different places and make it clear that all hybrids are invited to attend.

In the past I've posted the invitation on PriusChat, and InsightCentral. Also on yahoo groups like Pris 2g, honda hybrid and Ford Escape hybrid.

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a line.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

I thought it was a good meeting - more would have made it a great meeting.

Wolfman, I would not give up just yet. I'd plan to do one again around March 1 when the Holidays and cold weather are past us. Get the word out to as many hybrid forums as possible a month in advance. If we can find out active members in the area, recruit them, get feedback on the best meeting place.

I'll post Sunday, but wanted to say we both managed to avoid denting each other's mpg on our test drives.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

DeltaFlyer, I enjoyed getting the chance to meet you. That was not lost in our activities. When you set yours up for next spring, I'll do my best to attend. As for my being discouraged, granted this was the first time I posted such a thing here, it is by far not the first time I've tried to set up such gatherings. All attempts typically met with little to no response. I don't know what I'm doing wrong on trying to get things rolling and interest generated, but I can have just as much fun attending other's meets, without the disappointment of having my plans fall way short of expectations.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Banned
Default Pictures

I pulled in at the Grapvevine Sonic at about 12:30 and was greeted by Wolfman.

I don't think this was Wolfman.

Actually, this was his Ford Escape:My Insight:
  • Pic 1
  • Pic 2
  • Pic 3 (actually after the meeting and caught a look-alike half-mile away)
Did a show-and-tell for an hour, then drove each others vehicle a couple of miles away near D/FW airport and did a test drive. To each other's credit, our mpg was not dented. I actually increased Wolfman's by 0.2 of an mpg, even though I was not familiar with the HSD! (Am I correct to say the Escape is an HSD?)

Engaging the EV mode took a feather touch - even lighter than when I go into to lean burn when I start cruising at 50-60mph. I hope the sales people educate the buyers about the light touch on the EV mode.... I'm glad to have finally had the experience to drive a different type of hybrid, yet I feel my learning curve is just starting....

Funny thing was the the people that obviously were not part of the meet. In addition to the monster truck pictured, a couple of Hummers came by the Sonic (it's near a dealer that sell them). On a more positive side, also saw a flock of bikers on their Harleys - weather was about 75F.

I'm thinking next March might be a good time to try another meet again. The Holidays and cold weather might keep people busy or inside over the next few months. Going to try to contact hybrid folks from Greenhybrid and other groups, then find a good meeting place. I think the best attaction is a chance to drive a different hybrid.

Quick Reply: DFW hybrid gathering.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands