Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Hypermilers Attempting FE Record in a Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned
Default They Finished

They just ran out of gas at 2254.4 miles.

That would be 161mpg assuming exactly 14 gallons consumed.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Engineering first
Question Re: They Finished

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
They just ran out of gas at 2254.4 miles.

That would be 161mpg assuming exactly 14 gallons consumed.
At what average speed?

With what weight payload, including the driver?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-03-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned
Default Re: Hypermilers Attempting FE Record in a Honda Insight

Correction: Only 12.9 gallons was consumed, giving 174.72mpg

The stock Insight with A/C is about 1900 pounds before considering the weight of the driver.

As far as I know, no stock production vehicle (Insight, Prius, etc.) has exceeded 40mph doing better 100-110mpg because pulse and glide is required.

The pulse and glide practiced is common to hypermilers of various vehicles

With fuel consumption this low, temperatures below 60F and winds significantly impacted the results.

Nobody is pretending to claim this is like everyday driving, but to demonstrate what can be done. Should be noted that some things done on the Insight Marathon can be done in a limited way in everyday driving.

The Drivers:
  • Randall (Highwater)<
  • Lewis (sno662)<
  • Wayne (xcel)<
  • Dan (krousdb)<
  • Justin (Just522)<

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-04-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 PM

I belive the average speed was somewhere around 20mph. As was said. This wasn't to say "this is a typical drive in an insight" These were some of the best seeing exactly what they could pull out of the insight. The point is to try to fine tune techniques so you can find things to adopt in a regular commute.

Imagine the dedication of these guys to average 20mph over 2254.4 miles? These guys try to push the envelope so people like us can just learn from their advice. Lets all thank them for their hard work and for showing us what a wonderful car the insight is.

And if you think their techniques are radical, if you ever are worried about running out of gas maybe their techniques won't seem so radical

Again. Great Job guys. Way to push that car for all it is worth. If you didn't have a lot of wind against you I can't imagine what you could have gotten.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
. . .
As far as I know, no stock production vehicle (Insight, Prius, etc.) has exceeded 40mph doing better 100-110mpg because pulse and glide is required. . . .
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm interested in the total distance divided by the hours.

Last year's Prius endurance run:
1397 miles / 40 hours = 34.9 mph ==> 110 MPG

This year's Insight endurance run:
2254.4 miles / ?? hours = ?? mph ==> 175 MPG

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

I was mighty proud of my first tank (46 mpg), until I saw this forum. O' $h!t. I got a lot to learn.

Great job guys.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM

My calculations were 20mph as stated above.

Things that made this more difficult. They didn't run non stop. So every morning they were starting on a cold engine. 2) winds were rough on all but 1 day out of the 9 or so.

They did have the advantage that I don't think there was that much rain if any. And I'm pretty sure on the prius attempt they had a little rain.

BTW, did you know a girl in Japan beat the total miles on a tank in a prius this summer?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ck90211
I was mighty proud of my first tank (46 mpg), until I saw this forum. O' $h!t. I got a lot to learn.

Great job guys.
Depending on your commute you will probably gain information that will get you into mid 50s if you keep reading up. There's of good info here and around the web if you are realy interested in using ever last bit of energy out of your fuel.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Enthusiast

I dated Japanese girls before, they are like jockey weight, 80, 90 lbs. So future mileage record should have weight class, just like boxing and wrestling.

I noticed when I had 5 passengers in my Prius, ICE kicks in even (at walking speed) faster than it normally (grandma speed) does.

Just 2 questions (unrelated to hypermiling, sorry if I asked at a wrong place).
(1) Does EV mode keep ICE off a little longer than usual?
(2) Is EV mode engage by momentarily grouding the EV pin (on ECU), and disengaged automatically (when reaching 34 mph), or manually, when the EV pin is grounded again, by the mean of a momentary switch?

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

bwilson4web,

If you need a very precise answer, refer to the tables in the first post of Insight Marathon Attempt: Live - Sept. 25 - Oct. 1, 2006 (distance driven, time out, time in). I think the weight of the drivers range from 170 to 230, but isn't that getting personal? I doubt anyone else would give more detailed data than Wayne (xcel).

Nobody is trying to purport the Insight can get 174.72mpg driving in remotely typical driving conditions. No mass produced vehicle has ever gotten 100mpg or better cruising at 50mph or faster.

By definition, pulse and glide is maintaining an unsteady speed. Educated guess is the average speed was under 20mph. Again, there have been Prius Marathons and this Insight Marathon using pulse and glide - neither claim to represent a typical commute.

You are welcome to look at the data in the link given.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 10-03-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Hypermilers Attempting FE Record in a Honda Insight

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands